MkIV Golf TDi 130BHP

Gabriel

Am considering looking at this at some stage this week...
http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=294312

Would just like to get people's opinions on it. I know it's a diesel but even so am a bit concerned about the 86k mileage. Should I be?

Was looking also at the 1.8GTI petrol version. Couldn't justify the fuel consumption though.

The TDI's get rave reviews but I'm still a bit skeptical about diesel for some reason. Cold startups and clatter and all that. Anyone own one of these or know much about them. Have read tonnes of reviews.

Gabriel,

Nice Car! - a nice set of 17' alloys would set it off nicely

WRT the mileage - 86,000 miles is well above the yearly average for a 3 year old car (yearly avg is usually around 13,000 mls x 3 yrs = approx 40,000 mls) - so this car has done double the yearly average since it was purchased.

I personally wouldn't touch it; probably driven into the ground by a salesman, turbo could be shot or close to it, timing belt could need changing etc etc - the more miles on a car the greater the chance of something being or going wrong with it.

Now most engines will do 150,000 to 200,000 miles no problem if well maintained but why take the chance if you can get a similar car for the same price with half the miles?

Just my opinion - people with specific Golf knowledge may be able to give a different view

efm

Gabriel

Even if the high mileage isn't a problem now, then it would be more so when you go to sell it on. However, having said that, people seem to be asking/willing to pay ridiculous prices for used Golfs and A3s.

I myself recently bought a 2002 Alfa 147 (1.6). More powerful than a 1.6 Golf, much more features as standard, and Italian as opposed to German!!! Bad rep I know, but so far it's been a dream. Would you consider a 147JTD? Unfortunately, it looks like they're thin on the ground.

CCOVICH said:
Gabriel

Even if the high mileage isn't a problem now, then it would be more so when you go to sell it on. However, having said that, people seem to be asking/willing to pay ridiculous prices for used Golfs and A3s.

I myself recently bought a 2002 Alfa 147 (1.6). More powerful than a 1.6 Golf, much more features as standard, and Italian as opposed to German!!! Bad rep I know, but so far it's been a dream. Would you consider a 147JTD? Unfortunately, it looks like they're thin on the ground.

Hi CCOVICH,

To be honest with you I'd consider a 147 1.6 petrol or 1.9 diesel. I love them. It's the rep for problems I have a problem with. If I knew I was getting a good one that was not going to give me many problems I'd be out there now trading in for one.
The diesels seem to be virtually non-existent.

But then there was an interesting thread on boards recently about 156's and all the 156 drivers were saying that the problems with them are over-hyped and that there's were very reliable. Even had a few who had older 96-98 Alfa's of various sorts and they were raving about them.

I guess it's just the risk that I'd be in the garage every few months with it...that'd kill me. I've always owned fairly reliable cars.

I have a passat with the 130bhp engine.
It is a great car to drive, loads of power and still get 600 miles to the tank, even with the climate control left on all the time.

The passat is much better speced than the golf as well.
6 speed box
climate control
alloys
lowered suspension on the sport version.
heated front seats
much more room.

Could be worth a look for one.

If you look at alfa's be aware they will depreciate fast.

Gabriel said:
I guess it's just the risk that I'd be in the garage every few months with it...that'd kill me. I've always owned fairly reliable cars.

Fair enough. I knew I was taking a risk, but I got one that just had the timing belt recently done, which is one of the major problems. Apparently the 147 is a better (i.e. more reliable) car than the 156, because it was introduced 2/3 years after the 156. It is a super car to drive, and the features are great, but I guess an Alfa isn't for everyone.:)

With regard to depreciation, I intend at this stage to hold on to the car until the loan I used to finance it is fully repaid, and so the value at that stage won't really be an issue for me.

I have had difficulty selling a car with over 100k miles on the clock recently, so that's why I made the comment on trying to resell.

High miles should mean a relatively low price. In this case it doesn't.

Nice motor. Wait for one with 40k tops and a fsh.

Don't be put off by the mileage, assuming it has a full VW service history.The engine will be in better condition than a car thats only done short /stop start journeys. Remember fleet cars - maybe driven hard but are always well maintained as per lease agreements.As for the alpha - an alpha is for life as you'll only ever be able to trade it for another..

celsius said:
Don't be put off by the mileage, assuming it has a full VW service history.The engine will be in better condition than a car thats only done short /stop start journeys. Remember fleet cars - maybe driven hard but are always well maintained as per lease agreements.As for the alpha - an alpha is for life as you'll only ever be able to trade it for another..

I cannot agree. Mileage equals wear.

Engines, drivetrains, susoensions, brakes, and uktimately the bodyshell all deteriorate with the miles and the years.

The fact that it may have a FVWSH won't affect this.

It's possible to find a high miles car that's driving well, but it's future value after you've used it will be less again.

Only buy a high miler at an appreciable discount therefore.

RS2K said:

Incorrect I would argue.- a car that is only used for short stop start urban journeys ie <10 miles with frequent cold starts , will have far greater wear than a high mileage- 20,000 per year plus car. Most engine wear occurs in first 10 min after a cold start. Greater wear on clutch /brakes etc can also be expected.
Personally, I clocked 95 k miles on a vectra in <3 years - standard services only, engine as smooth a day one. Currently 55k miles on a 21/2 yr old passat - still on original brake pads, suspension sterring, engine all perfect.

Well maintained 2-3 yrs old high mileage cars can represent great bargains.

celsius said:
RS2K said:

Incorrect I would argue.- a car that is only used for short stop start urban journeys ie <10 miles with frequent cold starts , will have far greater wear than a high mileage- 20,000 per year plus car. Most engine wear occurs in first 10 min after a cold start. Greater wear on clutch /brakes etc can also be expected.
Personally, I clocked 95 k miles on a vectra in <3 years - standard services only, engine as smooth a day one. Currently 55k miles on a 21/2 yr old passat - still on original brake pads, suspension sterring, engine all perfect.

Well maintained 2-3 yrs old high mileage cars can represent great bargains.

Absolutely, but the original point of the thread was an enquiry as to whether a high mileage car is worth considering.

I pointed out that it would be if the price reflected it's heavier use, but in this case the price didn't.

RS2K said:
celsius said:
Absolutely, but the original point of the thread was an enquiry as to whether a high mileage car is worth considering.

I pointed out that it would be if the price reflected it's heavier use, but in this case the price didn't.

In fairnes, if i saw a 02 Golf TDI with 40K on it, i would think its clocked. To pay out the big bucks for a diesel golf like that , one would need to be doing at least 25K+ a year to justify the cost and get value for money on economy?. Its probably a very genuine car. id try and knock them back a bit. one thing on the car above, once you buy that golf, your going to be stuck with it once it goes over 100K. so if your buying, ud nearly want to buy for longterm i would think?.

I sold an 04 Focus TDCI diesel with c. 10k miles on it privately, and will be doing so again with the 05 one in about March I hope.

Back