Missing Transactions on my Account - NIB(update)

paflairl

Hi All,

Just wondering has anybody come across this with NIB since the ebanking changeover on the 18th of April. Having had some initial teething problems with the payments section, it led to me to start checking the online account each evening.

What I have found is that several transactions between the 27th April and 5th have not hit the account.All are laser trasactions. They amount to approx €900. I made them aware of my concerns last Thursday and they are investigating the matter.

They seemed to be quite baffled, initially saying that this was normal, but as I stated to them I have never seen laser transactions be this slow hitting an account - 10 days should be the max, due to the fact that some retailers only close off their systems once a week.

One laser transaction was through billpay.ie ( to pay my MBNA CC, to get round having to pay a transaction charge for paying bills on my Freebank account) and having contacted the billpay.ie team they said that it had gone through on their side.

Although this may be an isolated incident, its pays to check your account regularly and to keep all laser receipts safely. I allowed me to provide the authorisation code for each transaction.

Will let you know what the response is and the explanation they give.

Paflairl

Update:

All outstanding transactions have been processed, in some cases it has taken 19 days!!
What amazing new technology they have installed.Maybe we shouldn't be to harsh on the government for all their problems in IT area after all!!!;)

The answer I received from NIB is as follows:

"We are experiencing some teething problems which are being sorted.Regretfully this delay in processing has happened and I apologise for same.Trusting everything is now in order.":(

This doesn't instill me with much confidence.What if a person is happily spending away and find themselves overdrawn due to unprocessed transactions. What do you think?

paflairl said:
What I have found is that several transactions between the 27th April and 5th have not hit the account.All are laser trasactions. They amount to approx €900. I made them aware of my concerns last Thursday and they are investigating the matter.

Although this may be an isolated incident, its pays to check your account regularly and to keep all laser receipts safely. I allowed me to provide the authorisation code for each transaction.

YES! About 120 euros of transactions hit my account yesterday - nearly 17 days after I'd actually made them. Only for the fact that one of them was a non-routine one I'd have thought there was something majorly wrong.

To be honest my only bone to pick with NIB is that they have ALWAYS been slow at processing laser transactions - though never more than 4 working days. This is a right pain in the This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language for me also, today I find a transaction from 17 days ago - which left me overdrawn and charged a 20 euro referral fee: I will be complaining to my bank about this later today as there is absolutely no reason why a transaction should take nearly 3 weeks to go through! I'm not too optimistic about getting a refund on the referral fee but it does show you cannot be too careful.

I called the bank and they called me back later on to say that other customers were affected but they weren't sure what caused it. Pretty miffed as I only took out 20 euro the other day - which left me overdrawn.

So NIB then plunged in all these 3 week old direct debit, leaving me about 15 euros in the red, then added a 22 euro referral fee - which basically adding to the fact that they will now charge me fees will end up costing me about 48 euros for this NIB-created ***k-up.

No so pleased with NIB today.

HI Iff12,

Here's an extract from an email I sent them in response to NIB's reply to my missing transactions:

"While I appreciate there are teething problems with the new system, your reply doesn't provide me with any confidence.It worries me that they are not confined to one area.
My worry is will this happen again, and for those customers who may not be as vigilant as myself, where does it leave them? What if they have been spending away happily and then all of a sudden due to problems with processing they become overdrawn?
I originally asked the question as to why the amount available fluctuates up and down? Silence from NIB! Again by this happening it misrepresents how much you can spend."

I would argue with NIB that the amount available to spend on your account misrepresented how much you could withdraw from your account.What is the point in having the Balance/Amount Available if the Amount Available balance misrepresents how much you can spend.

I would also argue that the problems processing the transactions led to a situation that now see's you overdrawn!!In short I would demand a refund along with a letter detailing what went wrong with the processing. Someone in NIB has to have the answer!

Had the same problem. Except mine included cheques etc. 17th May I had approximately 1800 cleared from my account which related to transactions from around the time they installed the new system. Worse than that it left me overdrawn. Having briefly looked at my statm,ent just a few days I knew I had about 2000 in there with a cheque for 500 coming out - so about 1500 to spend! Will check more closely next time. Went to NIB on Monday and they said speak to my own branch in Galway. Am STILL waiting for them to call me back.

So much for being considered a high net worth client!!!!!!

Pat on the back due

I checked my account today and saw that NIB had credited back the referral fee. I suppose that was better than nothing. In fairness if I had kept a written total I'd have realised I was close to overdrawn. It would be really nice if they don't charge me fees since its my freebank account - but I'm not being too optimistic. Still credit where credit is due. At least they are not totally penalising me for their mistake.

I am not 100% sure abou this...but I think if you look into it you'll find that it is not your own bank that is slow to process the payments from your account but the retailer and the processing bank. A laser transaction is similar to a cheque, the retailer has a number of months to process the payment. In some instances you'll see the transaction straight away and then it "disappears", this is because of the request for authorisation. The process is the same with ever bank.

bambino said:
I am not 100% sure abou this...but I think if you look into it you'll find that it is not your own bank that is slow to process the payments from your account but the retailer and the processing bank. A laser transaction is similar to a cheque, the retailer has a number of months to process the payment. In some instances you'll see the transaction straight away and then it "disappears", this is because of the request for authorisation. The process is the same with ever bank.

There was an article in the Sunday Business Post yesterday which confirmed what I suspected - that a computer error had caused the problem. Apparently it was widespread accross NIB but is now resolved. So I presume if you were hit by it, nows the time to get in touch.

Back