Missing bank accounts in the will

suicra05

My son's grandfather has recently passed away. When he was alive he always spoke of having setup bank accounts or similar for his grandchildren.
The will has now been published and there is no mention of any bank accounts or similar for the grandchildren. Is there any way to check for lost accounts in my son's name or his grandfather's name? I notice in the UK there is a service for lost accounts https://www.mylostaccount.org.uk/faqs. Is there anything similar in Ireland or does anybody have any ideas of how to locate a missing account? Any advice would be appreciated?

Contact the main banks and put your question to them. There's not that many of them. Have you asked the solicitor? Then again, an awful lot of people have been told over the years that something would be, or has been, set up in a will, etc, for them. Sadly, no such undertaking had ever happened.

Standard practice for the solicitor to write to local banks requesting details of all/any accounts held in the deceased name. The bank will check all listing for the name (not just the local branches).

The accounts will most likely be in the grandchildren's names or their parents. Perhaps they are checking for the wrong names.

Contact the main banks and put your question to them. There's not that many of them. Have you asked the solicitor? Then again, an awful lot of people have been told over the years that something would be, or has been, set up in a will, etc, for them. Sadly, no such undertaking had ever happened.
Very common. I had a few cases back in the day where people were told: I'm going to setup a savings account for, you'll get it when you are 21.... bla bla

Yes it is possible to open accounts for grandchildren (in their own names). I did it about 4 years ago and I drip feed into them. Those age 13 or over have cards to access

Back