Missed calls from a scam number?

This is very widespread, I have discussions on several other Irish pages about it, the elderly are particularly vulnerable. My father receives a couple of these calls practically everyday, early in morning are the most annoying. He is well used to them at this stage and just says goodbye and hangs up but it's irritating as he's not that fast on his feet and answers the phone every time in case it is a proper call.

The consensus on other discussions I have seen is that nothing can be done as they are all varying numbers and as soon as you'd block one another appears and it seems to be coming from a database of the old directories which has clearly ended up somewhere. I was always ex directory and have never got one of these calls so don't know if that theory is correct or not.

I too have been getting these calls. Just hang up and forget about them. The callers pry on the unsuspecting. If you press any button on the phone the callers' employers (usually from an island in the Pacific or India) have an electronic way of getting you charged at premium rate. You probably won't even hear a dial tone or even a ringing out tone, but you are getting charged.

Helpful Hint:- Stop being nice or just hang up or just act stupid which drives the caller around the bend.

I got a new Android 9, AKA 'Pie' phone yesterday - and was happy to note that there's an option to report an incoming number that you recognise in advance under a defined list of categories.

For example I was receiving an incoming call from a UK number that I suspected was some Eejitt that was going to ask me 6 inane questions about what I knew about their dodgy financial company, offering me shady propositions etc etc

This call however was clearly marked on the screen as having previously been reported for possible fraud.

A small thing but very much appreciated nonetheless.

Back