Minor accident on holiday in Italy

Wollie

I would appreciate advice from anyone with experience of motor insurance in Italy.
My daughter just rang me. She's on holidays in Italy and had a minor accident. Scratches on both cars, not major, I gather. Her fault. Has given insurance details to other driver, also a hired car. Everyone happy.
I told her not to worry, to wait until she's giving the car back, then tell the hire company (Maggiore) about the accident, show them the scratch on her car and photo of scratch on other car. Assured her that all would be hunky dory, but I'm not sure. Just don't want it to spoil her holiday. She also has excess insurance from a company called Eversure. Just a tenner for five days. I suspect that this is irrelevant in the circumstances.
Was that reasonable advice to give her? What's the most she's likely to be asked to pay?

PS: On reflection, the Eversure policy may be the one to cover her if the rental company asks her to pay. I attach the relevant section of the policy.

Attachments

• Eversure Car Hire Excess Insurance Policy Wording V2.1.pdf
    265.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Normally, the rental company will charge the excess and Eversure should pay it back under their conditions. I would advise her to read her rental contract to see what it the procedure to follow in case of accident (or does she need to advise them before her car return)

The Maggiore terms and conditions are quite clear that they require notification of any accident within 24 hours. If she hasn't already, tell her to do that now.

Given that she took out excess insurance, I'll assume she only took the basic cover on offer from Maggiore. With that and the potential for the 3rd party to claim, they will likely charge the maximum excess as allowed in the policy. She will then have to make a claim for that to the excess insurance company.

I'd also advise your daughter have a thorough read of the excess insurance contract and contact them to ensure she obtains any documentation or evidence they might require to process a claim.

I was billed by a car hire company for scratches to the underside of the front bumper (not done by me and almost impossible to see). I was charged by them on return and paid up and given the paperwork. I claimed back in full on my excess policy without much drama. Not quite the same as your case but might be useful.

Thanks all. I've relayed that advice to her. Don't know if it's now more than 24 hours since the tip. (I was late checking for replies).

Back