Minimum Wage

shipibo

A Chairde,

As Min. wage is 7.65 / hr. , is it possible to pay workers less , legally.

.I.E workers in catering industry , some of which get around 3 - 4 euro / hr.

I am talking about full weeks work, not part time, and I assume the workers have no contracts.

Perhaps set up a company in Germany. Interview and employ your people there and then suggest that they work in Ireland for some months........

I came across a crew from Germany extending a Lidl store recently ( cladding guys, sparks etc. ). At the time I had a problem working out the economics of it.

olddog said:
Perhaps set up a company in Germany. Interview and employ your people there and then suggest that they work in Ireland for some months........

I came across a crew from Germany extending a Lidl store recently ( cladding guys, sparks etc. ). At the time I had a problem working out the economics of it.

Why? Is there no or a lower minimum wage in Germany or does this get around the need to pay the Irish minimum wage or something? Anybody know of any source for information on which countries (in particular EU countries) have a minimum wage and what it is?

Hi Crumb,

Ive moved this from Askaboutbusiness to "Careers and Employment" as I think youre likely to get a better response here.
ajapale

"Is there no or a lower minimum wage in Germany"

I understand there is not one at present.

I doubt the motivation was to get around the Irish minimum wage. I guess with thousands of stores around Europe they may well have a large premises / maintenance department and this is just how they do things

Thanks. I just thought that you were suggesting the German company approach to circumventing the Irish minimum wage above and that Lidl may have been doing this deliberately or otherwise.

ClubMan said:
Thanks. I just thought that you were suggesting the German company approach to circumventing the Irish minimum wage above and that Lidl may have been doing this deliberately or otherwise.

I'd say it more like the rest of us...

They couldnt get a decent local builder to do small jobs !

But they had an option ...

They looked at the costings & found they could bring in a crew from the fatherland & not have it cost any more ( much unemployment in Germany so many find their wages are going down in real terms )

Back