Minimum notice required when not in a contract?

M

medo

I have a bit of a dilemma, been renting from a rental agency since March 2010. First I entered a years lease, up until March 2011, then I renewed for 6 months taking me to Sept 2011. The agency then offered me a renewal for 3 months which they said would bring me up to Dec 2011 but in fact when they printed it in error it showed Nov-Jan 2012. The end date of lease being Jan 12 2012.

I never signed this lease as I intented to look around for other properities as they were unwilling to lower the rent and we were paying above average for the property in the area.

On 9th December I called to the agency and told them that I had found another house that I would like to take, and so what was the proper procedure in order to leave the current property as soon as possible. At first I was informed that I was in a contract according to their systems until 12 Jan 2012 , but I corrected the person that I in fact never signed into that contract. So, I was then told that 28 days notice would have to be given in writing. So I gave my notice that day in writing and was told that my move out date would be 6th Jan 2012. So I went away and made arrangements and paid a deposit on a new house and had begun organising my move. I recieved correspondance from the agency about move out procedures but it stated my move out date as 12th Jan, so I called to dispute this, and I was told that it was my imagination that I was told 28 days was sufficent and the fact that I hadnt signed into a contract was my own negligence.

So now they are unwilling to let me go until 12th Jan and said in fact that I should be giving 52 days notice.

I know the difference between 6th and 12th may not seem like a lot, but times are tough and i simply cannot afford to pay rent on both properties during this time. This is why I confirmed 6th with the agency before handing over a deposit and agreeing the date with the new landlords of new house.

So whether or not I had signed the 3 month lease (I havent) - eitherway its wrong and if I had signed it I should be out of it as in fact it was supposed to run from 12th SEPT - 12TH DEC. not in fact Jan,.....it is a typo on their part, they "lost" a month and skipped to Oct and made it Oct-Jan !!! What Im saying is even if i had signed into it its supposed to be finished by now. Ive given 28 days notice from 9th Dec. Ive checked PRTB website but cant find answers, can anyone advise me on my rights please? Im am very eager to do things correctly as the company not only have a months deposit belonging to me but also a pet deposit which is also one months rent and obviously I wish to get all of my deposit returned (which is something I feel they will make quite difficult for me as they have been very unhelpful and rude about this situation).

Apreciate any advice.

Back