Meter for gas

Sarah

Does anyone know if Board Gais charge you for installing a meter. I dont think our builder has put a meter outside our new house and in order to get the heating turned on we need a meter reading. Also does anyone know hoe to go about getting the electricity turned on. ESB said we need a code from our builder but when i asked him(i think he now thinks im a nutjob!) he said he's never heard of buliders having codes and dosent have one!! Help!!

Cheers!x

Had a look at both of those websites but they say nothing about the builder having to give you a code for the electricity (which,and correct me if im wrong, seems to take the ESB forever to do) and Board Gais say nowt about having to get a meter put in! I presume it not the same as having a whole installation done???

I presume this is a one self-build house you're talking about, as oppposed to a house in a development? Doesn't sound like your builder is very helpful. You need to apply for a new connection with ESB, fill out the form and submit to ESB. ESB will then require a cert. from the RECI registered electrician who wired the house before they will connect a permanent supply. As for gas you need to fill out form for new gas connection, Bord Gais won't supply meter until a new account no. has been set up on their system. Bord Gais will fit the meter themselves and make the final connection. Your electrician and plumber should be able to advise you.

Thanks for that, But i am actually buying in a housing estate, the final phase of it so i can not understand how everyone else got their electricity and gas! So do i need to get Board Gais to come out to the house and install a meter and is their a fee.

If you are buying in an estate you shouldn't have to organise any of this, in my opinion. The builder would normally arrange for connection in your name, or else intially in his name and organise for changeover once sale is due to close. How could the builder hope to close the sale if gas or ESB are not connected? I think you should go back to the builder and clarify the matter, if he is unhelpful ask the solicitor acting for you to write to the builder and confirm what is included in the contract to purchase. Gas and electricity are essential services, not discretionary like telephone, cable etc.

Thanks everyone for the replies, the builder seems a tad "away with the fairys" so when i go down to do the snag on friday prehaps a face to face explination might clear things up! By the way anyone know if this is true, the builder has said not to put down on the snag that the doors dont close as they are pre hung doors and there is a level of shirnkage they need to go through. This sounds dodgy to me but what do i know...Cheers again, much appriciated!

Back