Metal Detectors

L

Leatherarse

My youngest son wants something different for Christmas, so I have decided to buy him a metal detector as I used to have one, ( stolen out of my car a few years ago ). Where can I buy one in Dublin or the North East and also have they to be licenced ?

Hi, Maplin appear to have a wide selection. Can't vouch for any of them. They are on Jervis St.

There's a company in Cork called Minelab that makes them.
I think they sell on line.

They are in fact out near bandon in County Cork as I recall..

Re: ..

Ocras, do Maplins in Blanchardstown stock them?

The issue of licensing came up before but I think that the topic is gone now. [broken link removed] may or may not be authoritative and has this to say:

SOUTHERN IRELAND The National Monuments (Amendment) Act 1987 (Section 2) states:

Subject to the provisions of this section a person shall not:

1a: Use or be in possession of a detection device in, or at the site of, a monument of which the Commissioners or a local authority are the owners or guardians or in respect of which a preservation order is in force or which stands registered in the Register or

2a. in an archaeological area that stands registered in the Register or 3a. in a Registered area

OR

b: Use, at a place other than a place specified in paragraph a of this subsection, a detection device for the purpose of searching for archaelogical objects or

c: Promote, whether by advertising or otherwise, the sale or use of detection devices for the purpose of searching for archaeological objects.

Note: `Archaeological area' is defined as ` an area which the Commissioners consider to be of archaeological importance but does not include the area of a historical monument standing entered in the Register'.

Section 40 states that `Where in a prosecution for an offence under this section it is proved that a detection device was used, it shall be presumed until the contrary is proved that the device was being used for the purpose of searching for archaeological objects'.

If you want to dig deeper then the act mentioned above is available [broken link removed].

hmmmm.... I think I might buy a metal detector as well.

[broken link removed]

Saw this one on eBay for £60 (for a buy it now)

Nat

Metal Detector in Argos

Hi All,

Well this is my first post, just to let you know, there's a Metal Detector in Argos.

Re: Metal Detector in Argos

This crowd are good. My father got one for his birthday. Unfortunetly it's one of those kind of things that tends to get left in the attic after a few months.....but then that could be said of a lot of Christmas presents.

www.metaldetectors.co.uk/

Metal Detector

i bought mine from Joan allen www.joanallen.co.uk/ in the uk.
Minelab are quite expensive
Maplin had some in the window just yesterday
and CQ Communications on the quays also have some but i would recommend Joan allen.
Bingo Bango

Re: Metal Detector

Ta all, I think one of my bairns is getting me one for Christmas.
I think from |Maplins.

Re: Metal Detector

So, can they legally be used on a public beach (in Ireland). I didn't notice any reference to public beaches in the above info.

Back