Merlin Car Auctions?

DaveD

Anyone have any experience of buying from Merlin Car Auctions, good or bad? I know every car is different and you can buy a lemon anywhere but I'm considering buying from them as opposed to a private individual. I know a car is "sold as seen" but any major faults have to be declared and all cars are checked for outstanding finance/insurance write offs and to see if they are stolen. You don't get this from a private sale and I'm reluctant to pay dealer prices if I can avoid it.

I went along to one of their saturday auctions, mainly out of curiosity. My understanding is that buyer beware very much holds, you have no come back once you leave with the car.

Not sure there are many bargins either, alot of the examples I saw were high mileage, badly maintained and/or damaged to various degrees.

I think if you know your cars well & can do any work required yourself or cheaply, then it's worth going, but I'll be giving it a miss :)

boards.ie had an interesting discussion about merlin and the peculiarities in the taking of bids from walls and ghosts and the blindness of the auctioneer to potential bidders for choice cars. some of the information was first hand from posters to the forum.

Back