Medical Expenses

Lyndan

Hi All,

What medical expenses can I claim for on the MED1/MED2 form? Whats the difference between the forms?

What is the benifit of applying for a P21?

In what instance can you claim flat rate expenses?

Thanks

What medical expenses can I claim for on the MED1/MED2 form? Whats the difference between the forms?
MED1 is for medical expenses. MED2 is for dental expenses. The forms themselves are available from the Revenue website along with a leaflet about such expense claims which outlines what's allowed.
What is the benifit of applying for a P21?
It ensures that, based on the information available to Revenue (which should be updated if incorrect), you don't over or under pay tax for the year in question. Sometimes payroll mistakes can be made or your employer or Revenue may not be aware of certain details which, when clarified, can lead to an under or over payment of tax. A P21 will sort this out.
In what instance can you claim flat rate expenses?
If you are in one of the employment classes listed on the Revenue website in relation to flat rated employment in expenses credits.

Can you advise if tax relief can be sought for dental costs paid after the costs have been reduced through RSI payments?

Yes - any otherwise unreimbursed qualifying expenses above the relevant threshold can claimed for. If you incurred €1K of qualifying dental expenses and PRSI covered €200 then you could claim tax relief on the remaining €800 less the personal threshold of €125 for example.

Yes - any otherwise unreimbursed qualifying expenses above the relevant threshold can claimed for. If you incurred €1K of qualifying dental expenses and PRSI covered €200 then you could claim tax relief on the remaining €800 less the personal threshold of €125 for example.

Has anyone tried using that ROS service to claim Dental expenses?
I tried to do it for a friend last night and gave up...complete nightmare!
Sent me off into a verification page with a different department. I thought the PIN and PPS number would suffice. Just posted it in the end.

Before using ROS, you've got to register with reachservices.ie (which is the public services portal). You register there, and you'll receive a validation code by snailmail. Once that's entered, you can return to ROS & use the PIN supplied by them. It doesn't take too long (I registered recently and was set up within a week).

Back