Medical Expenses - BUPA

kmelvin

Hi, I've been claiming the tax back on my medical expenses for the last 5 years.

In my job I've had BUPA Cover (Essential Plus - NoI/P Excess) for the last 6 years. I've been told I can claim back some of medical expenses from BUPA aswell.

Does anyone know if this is true and what exactly I can claim from them?

Thanks for any help you could give.

K

Hi, I've been claiming the tax back on my medical expenses for the last 5 years.

In my job I've had BUPA Cover (Essential Plus - NoI/P Excess) for the last 6 years. I've been told I can claim back some of medical expenses from BUPA aswell.

Does anyone know if this is true and what exactly I can claim from them?
The policy booklet/document should explain what's covered. Note that you are not supposed to claim tax relief on expenses that are otherwise reimbursed (e.g. by private health insurance cover).

In ideal world- you should claim from BUPA first and then submit your MED1 and claim tax relief on the excess what BUPA didn't pay

You might be able to claim retrospectively against BUPA and refund revenue

hi
you can claim tax relief on your Bupa policy only if it is company paid and you pay BIk. To do this you need to get a letter off Bupa giving you the gross amounts paid for the last 4/5 years.

thanks

hi
you can claim tax relief on your Bupa policy only if it is company paid and you pay BIk.
This is correct but it is not the point of the original query which is about claiming tax relief and private health insurance cover on medical expenses.

[broken link removed]
To do this you need to get a letter off Bupa giving you the gross amounts paid for the last 4/5 years.
You can only backdate claims for tax relief by 4 tax years.

under the essential plus you have an outpatient excess - individual is 220 euro and family is 440 euo. Basically you pay the first 220 (if individual policy) and anything above this could be reimbursed back to you.

Say you are individual on policy and excess is 220. you have 10 gp visits and 5 physio visits. BUPA will allow 20 per visit for gp and physio -

So 10 X 20 = 200
5 x 20 = 100

You have a total of 300 minus your excess of 220 = 80 this is what you are due back from bupa. Prescriptions cannot be put against this excess...
Whatever you cannot claim from bupa you can put through your Med1

hope this helps

If you claim back from BUPA some or all of the expenses on which you have already claimed tax relief then you need to sort this out with Revenue in order to ensure that your tax affairs are kept up to date.

Back