Medical cards for children

Sophia2457

Excuse my total ignorance, but do children under 16 not automatically have medical cards anymore?

I trued to read up on it on oasie.ie but couldn't understand - it appeared that only those whose parents were in receipt of social welfare could get them.

How on earth do parents manage??? (Obviously not one myself!)

Thanks

Did you read this section?

Is this a genuine query or a Letting Off Steam issue?

Children under 16 have never automatically been given medical cards. It is means tested. The new "Doctor Only" cards take your net disposable income into account (childcare, mortgage, travel to work costs are taken off net income). It's likely that the government will have to raise the income levels for these cards as only a small number of the promised 200,000 cards have been issued.

Thanks, Marg
I guess my parents must have come in under the income threshold at the time. I'm glad to have that clarified. It certainly seems something should be done about it and I'm better informed now that an election is looming!

At €50 per doctor's visit I think twice of going myself, but you can't take a chance with children, so I feel for those who don't qualify even for the 'doctor only' cards.

Don't forget that qualifying medical expenses such as GP consultation fees above €125 (individual claim)/€250 (joint/family claim) qualify for tax relief at the individual's marginal rate.

Back