medical card

gilh

Hi
should somebody who earned about€14000 since january 2005 and has now resigned and started as a mature student [3 year course]getting a local authority grant be entitled to a medical card.Whats the procedure?

From a procedure point of view as far as I know, you get the application form from your local Health Board and fill in the information accordingly and they will assess whether you qualify or not. But as pointed out you may need to check thresholds to see if you may be wasting your time. These thresholds are pointed out on the application form.

doctor only medical card is better than nothing if you don't qualify.

The OASIS link that ClubMan posted doesn't mention that if you are over 25 and a full-time student, you qualify for a medical card. This is subject to the course you are doing and the institution you're doing it in, but AFAIK it's the same set of courses and institutions that are approved for the higher education grants scheme.

Hi
just discovered that if you are now finished work and on grant it is assumed you are getting other financial support eg from parents and they must be medical card holders for you to qualify. Otherwise prove you have savings by bank statements [Not the case of this 23 year old]. Savings could also disqualify you. Catch 22 situation. any suggestions

Suggestion which is a bit weak but which may work is to perhaps explain what assistance you are getting. Whether it is in the form of a loan from your parents each term/ year which you will be expected to pay back. or an agreed amount of maintenance they will give you each week or allow you free rent and board. I think theres a little more discretion with applications for medical cards than with some other benefits because even if you are over the limit you make an application on hardship grounds.

Its very frustrating though when government depts insist that adults are still getting financial support from home. My friend at 30 was refused a grant because she was living at home and was classed as a mature dependant student. There doesn't seem to be an age limit so even at 50 if for some reason your living with your mum/dad you'll still be seen as dependant.

Back