Medical card form so confusing need help!

blueshoes

Hi gang.

Just got the dredded medical card review forms again and just from a quick glance at them they seem to want alot more information than this time last year. I cant remember last year but could anyone tell me if carer's allowance and fis are taken into account when applying? Also if your child is disabled (for life) do you automatically get a card?
Himself has changed job and is earning approx 200 more pw so im just trying to figure out would we still be eligable before i go to the hassle of photocopying forms and getting doctors letters.

Also, can anyone tell me why is it that me and my child apply..but they take himself's income into account even though he doesnt get a card?? Its just so annoying as he's been sick quite a bit the last few months and doctors aint cheap!!

Ive google it but cant find anything proper on it. Thanks in advance.

Does this site help at all?

http://www.medicalcard.ie/
Also, can anyone tell me why is it that me and my child apply..but they take himself's income into account even though he doesnt get a card??
Because you are being assessed as a family unit perhaps? If I earn €100K p.a. and my wife is a stay at home mother with no earnings (only one of which is true unfortunately!) then do you think that it would be fair if she got a medical card?

Thanks clubman. I had seen that site alright I typed in the information and it comes up not entilted. Not to worry i'l give them a quick ring tomorrow

Also if your child is disabled (for life) do you automatically get a card?
Is this of any use?

[broken link removed]

In particular (even if the second sentence seems to be a bit garbled...):
Your child’s entitlement to health services depends on your family’s circumstances. If your family is not entitled to a medical card or GP Visit Card, your child get an individual medical card for if they have a particular medical expenses, or else may be entitled to the following:
  • Free public hospital services;
  • No in-patient or out-patient short-stay charges are levied if your child is suffering from a one of a number of specific long-term conditions or if referred from child health services or school health services
  • Free prescribed drugs and medicines for specific long-term conditions
  • Various health services for people with disabilities
  • Various community care services

Carer's Allowance and FIS are not taken into account when applying for a medical card.
Don't forget to allow travel to/from work, childcare (if applicable) and rent/mortgage expenses too.
And if you don't get a medical card, you might qualify for a GP visit card instead.

There's a link in this thread to the medical card assessment guidelines

Last edited:
Back