Medical card application when on disability allowance

dubdub123

Hi - my 16 year old son has just been approved for disability allowance. My understanding is that he can now apply for a medical card (I don't hold a card so this would be a new application for him. I have recently applied myself in the hopes of getting a GP card)

Can anyone advise how the form is to be completed? I'm already stuck on one of the first questions regarding his income . He has ONLY DA so should his income be zero for medical card purposes or do I state that he has over 164 euro pw?

Update - i completed this on line for him stating that he is in receipt of DA and the amount.

I tracked it on medicalcard.ie, my GP was sent a link few days ago and today I saw it was completed.

I phoned this morning and it has been approved and they gave me the number of the card over the phone.

Obviously he won't have to pay for GP and will pay nominal amount for prescriptions which is great. Not sure what other benefits, but this is a huge relief.

In response to 'not sure what other benefits';

DA is standard 208 euro going up to 220 in 2023 not sure why 164.
Your son can apply for Free Travel Pass with Companion.
Your son can apply for Household Benefits Package (35 pm toward electric/gas or just to his account) and free TV licence with 160e pm. You do not put in your income on the form just cross that out it should not be asked for.
If you son is on medication not covered by medical card e.g. melatonin your chemist can apply for Hardship Scheme and then its just the 2e and 130euro in our case.
All of these are based on his income only makes no difference what parents earn or their savings etc.

In response to 'not sure what other benefits';

DA is standard 208 euro going up to 220 in 2023 not sure why 164.
Your son can apply for Free Travel Pass with Companion.
Your son can apply for Household Benefits Package (35 pm toward electric/gas or just to his account) and free TV licence with 160e pm. You do not put in your income on the form just cross that out it should not be asked for.
If you son is on medication not covered by medical card e.g. melatonin your chemist can apply for Hardship Scheme and then its just the 2e and 130euro in our case.
All of these are based on his income only makes no difference what parents earn or their savings etc.
Great thank you so much! I sent in an application for companion travel card and waiting to hear back. Being honest I found the criteria very unclear so submitted a cover letter as well. We have travelled together a few times on the bus since he got the card, and we will try the luas soon. He absolutely would not be comfortable at all to travel by himself, so I really hope he gets this as its a practical support for him.

Thats really good to know about the hardship scheme. He has never been on melatonin but his sleep cycle/habits are very poor the last few years and contribute to his level of tiredness so we may look at this in the future. Thats very helpful to be aware of the that scheme.

The Long Term Illness scheme does not cover all medication or all medical conditions, only medicines related to specific illnesses and conditions.

@dubdub123, does your son's free travel card have FT-C on it? This indicates that he can travel with a companion. The companion (you, or another person) don't get a separate card.

The Long Term Illness scheme does not cover all medication or all medical conditions, only medicines related to specific illnesses and conditions.

@dubdub123, does your son's free travel card have FT-C on it? This indicates that he can travel with a companion. The companion (you, or another person) don't get a separate card.
It doesn't, it just has FT-P on the card they sent out after he was awarded disability.
I've sent in the form few weeks ago to see if he can get the companion pass that you mentioned above with FT-C. Apparently it can take months to process, so could be good while begore we get an answer.
Wording was quite unclear but i filled in as much as possible and included a cover letter.

The companion pass it issued very fast just email them and set out due to disability etc........when we went to get our travel pass they said I would have to do medical form again for the plus C which I thought was ridiculous but card came with the plus C and this was all within a week during covid we haven't even used it ...but plan to.

Agee with gipimann long term illness don't cover e.g. melatonin (for over 16yrs) think they deliberately try to confuse people with these names, if you trying melatonin stick with branded and tablets .... long term release Circadian works for us after years of struggle, she non 24 with delayed sleep phase too, perviously needed 12 hours (or body did not work) now with melatonin just 9 is perfect (didn't work at all with liquid stuff at 14 yrs).

The companion pass it issued very fast just email them and set out due to disability etc........when we went to get our travel pass they said I would have to do medical form again for the plus C which I thought was ridiculous but card came with the plus C and this was all within a week during covid we haven't even used it ...but plan to.

Agee with gipimann long term illness don't cover e.g. melatonin (for over 16yrs) think they deliberately try to confuse people with these names, if you trying melatonin stick with branded and tablets .... long term release Circadian works for us after years of struggle, she non 24 with delayed sleep phase too, perviously needed 12 hours (or body did not work) now with melatonin just 9 is perfect (didn't work at all with liquid stuff at 14 yrs).

Its been a struggle since towards the end of primary school. I remember we were back and forth to gp due to his tiredness. He would look physically unwell, but bloods were all good. Its still a huge hurdle for him now and he is so tired, much of the time.
For tge travel pass, he already had his PSC when he was approved for Disability and the updated card was just sent out.
I rang at the time and was told tgat they would have assessed him at the time, but i could send in application. Hopefully it works out for him but im doubtful being honest.

did you send in a whole new form with the medical part ..ie similar to the DA form, ridiculous i know !

we didn't;t get PSC card auto so had to apply maybe covid related as 2 years ago but I emailed and mentioned disability related it was so fast tracked all down with plus C within a week or so.

Melatonin usually needs to be prescribed by Camhs / Phycharist (to get hardship also) life changer for us...2 /3 years of sleep day or night in a 28 hour cycle rather than 24 but honestly have to say light at end of tunnel...we now 18 a long road and last 2 years sleep great ( does get mixed up need to diary maybe hormonal etc... but don't think so )

and don't forget the hardship scheme also as he defo entitled to that.

... I was just answering a post of yours I think for a different question.

I had to get GP to sign off again on the companion form application. Pretty much the same info again. Sent in weeks ago but email is a good idea as follow up.

For medical card, i completed the form for my son once he got approved for DA and that was very quick. found that process quite clear.

Waitlisted with CAMHS months now.. Not currently attending psychologist or psychiatrist but previously went to psychotherapist then Pieta, then through ASD assessment. Pretty burned out but will look into further therapy in new year.

I just phoned up Free Travel section and its taking 3 to 4 months for application to come back from medical assessment.
They said I could send in reports and they can foreard them, but Id prefer not to do this as theres very personal detail. My GP has signed off on diagnosis based on reports.
What an incredibly long turnaround time..

Back