medical card and dentist ?

Discussion in 'Welfare and state benefits' started by messedaround, Oct 9, 2007.

  1. messedaround

    messedaround Frequent Poster

    Anyone have an idea weather im covered with my dentist on my medical card ? dont need anything major done just a check up ? thanks an advance
  2. gipimann

    gipimann Frequent Poster

    There are entitlements for medical card holders - have a look here

    If you are or were working, you may also qualify for treatment benefit on your PRSI contributions. There's a link to information on that scheme on the above page.

    (pages from the Citizens information website).
  3. ajapale

    ajapale Moderator

    Copied from citizensadvice on 4.Nov.07. Please refer to the website for updates....aj Information

    The Health Service Executive (HSE) in Ireland provide free dental treatment to certain citizens through the public health service. Services are provided by dentists employed by Local Health Offices in your area and by private dentists who have contracts with the HSE to provide certain services. In practice, there is a shortage of dentists and the HSE gives priority to certain groups.
    Treatment Benefit Scheme

    Treatment Benefit is a scheme in Ireland operated by the Department of Social and Family Affairs. Under this scheme, contributions made by people to the national social insurance fund are paid back to fund the cost of certain health benefits. These health benefits are Dental Benefit, Optical Benefit, Contact Lenses, and Hearing Aids.

    The HSE is obliged to provide dental services free of charge to:
    • Medical card holders and their dependants
    • People who have contracted Hepatitis C directly or indirectly from the use of Human Immunoglobulin-Anti-D or from the receipt within Ireland of any blood product or a blood transfusion and who have a Health Amendment Act Card,
    • Preschool children and school children attending state primary schools referred from child health service and school health service examinations.
    Priority is usually given to children referred from child and school health services.
    Dental services for children under 16 years of age who attend state primary schools and are referred from child and school health services are provided in Health Service Executive (HSE) clinics and in primary schools. Services for others who are entitled to dental treatment are provided in HSE clinics or by private practitioners who have agreements with the HSE. The HSE decides whether you will be treated by one of its dentists or by a private practitioner. If you are to be treated by a private practitioner, you can choose from the list of dentists who have agreements with the HSE to provide services.
    At present, this is the general level of service available but there are variations between administrative regions of the HSE.
    Emergency dental treatment for the relief of pain

    Emergency dental treatment (for the relief of pain) is generally available to anyone covered by a medical card. The service is provided by private dentists and you may choose a dentist from the panel of those who have agreed to provide services.
    Urgent denture repairs

    Urgent denture repairs are available on exactly the same basis as treatment for the relief of pain.
    Routine dental treatment

    Routine dental treatment is provided through Health Service Executive (HSE) clinics and by private dentists on the HSE panel. This service is now available free of charge to all medical card holders over 16 years of age.
    Routine dental treatment includes:
    • examination
    • extractions
    • fillings
    • scalings
    • polishing
    • removal/amputation of roots
    • root treatment (front 6 teeth top and bottom)
    • x-rays
    • partial dentures
    • full dentures
    Full denture treatment

    Medical card holders who have no natural teeth are entitled to get dentures. These are usually provided at HSE clinics.
    Orthodontic treatment

    The orthodontic service in Ireland is currently being restructured to try to deal with the long waiting lists. This involves the recruitment and training of more orthodontists and the introduction of auxiliary dental workers in the orthodontic area. Some HSE have engaged private practitioners to provide services to eligible people, mainly children.
    Orthodontic guidelines were issued in 1985 by the Department of Health and Children and are still in operation. Children are classified by severity of need. Category A means you require immediate treatment. You are in this category, for example, if you have a congenital abnormality such as cleft lip and palate. Category B patients who have less severe problems but need treatment are put on the waiting list. Discussions are currently under way to introduce a new method of categorising need.
    Taxation and Dental Expenses

    If you do not have a medical card and have to pay for dental services from a private practitioner, you may claim tax relief for certain specialised dental treatments. (Routine treatments such as extractions, scaling and filling of teeth and provision and repairing of artificial teeth and dentures are excluded from tax relief). Further information on how to claim tax relief for specific dental costs incurred by you whether for yourself, your spouse, your dependent child or a dependent relative are available in our document on Taxation and Medical Expenses.
    How to apply

    Dental services for pre-school children and children under 16 years of age attending state schools are referred from child and school health services and are provided free of charge in Health Service Executive (HSE) clinics and in primary schools. Apply to your local health centre or clinic for further information.
    The Dental Health Foundation of Ireland have produced a number of useful publications on dental health.
    The Irish Dental Association is the main representative body in Ireland for general dental practitioners, dental specialists and Health Service Executive (HSE) dental surgeons.

    Last Updated: 5/12/2006
    Subject Terms: oral health, dental health services, special needs services
  4. Plek Trum

    Plek Trum Frequent Poster

    There is currently an on-going dispute between the HSE and Dental Council. 92% of dentists have currently opted out of the Medical Card Scheme. I suggest you contact your dentist to see if they are currently accepting cards for dental treatment. If not, they should be able to direct you to your nearest HSE / M/C clinic for treatment.