med 1 claim and tax bands

lab-rat

Hello all,
I get paid approx 35k per annum. I will have a lot of medical expenses in 2006-2007 (pregnancy related). I was wondering if all my claim would be calulated at the higher rate of tax, or a small amount at 42% but the bulk of the claim at 20%???
Thanks all

But I presume that if you are just marginally in the 42% bracket and the medical expenses claims would actually move you back into the 20% bracket then you will only get back the tax actually paid (i.e. 42% on some and 20% on the rest) and not 42% on the whole lot otherwise Revenue would be giving away free money!

lab-rat
- is that what you're talking a about? Do you have more than c. €3K in medical expenses that might cause you to revert to the 20% band?

But I presume that if you are just marginally in the 42% bracket and the medical expenses claims would actually move you back into the 20% bracket then you will only get back the tax actually paid (i.e. 42% on some and 20% on the rest) and not 42% on the whole lot otherwise Revenue would be giving away free money!

lab-rat - is that what you're talking a about? Do you have more than c. €3K in medical expenses that might cause you to revert to the 20% band?

Thanks clubman, yep I will have probably 3k+ to claim back. Although I guess that 1.5k+ will be claimed for 2006 and 1.5k+ in 2007.

Back