Wrong forum Means Test Information and help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hphilip

I am looking for help and information on where I can now get help.

Firstly, I know of people that are unemployed for years and getting the full dole , and have no intention of returning to work. Also plenty of people who are working and signing also.

I was made let go from my Private sector job last November (2008), a salary of €32,000 gross I also had a brevement in the family around the same time and had to wait 15 weeks to receive my jobseekers benefit.

My wife works in the private sector also and had a wage of €33,000 gross per 48 hour week.

I received my jobseekers benefit of €204.30 and like most other people had Loans, Mortgage and household bills, and managed (just about) despite having €22,000 less in income.

I have made approximatly 200 applications (which i can prove) for work since i was let go. I received a letter from social welfare to advise me that I am being means tested. While I am married My wife and I have single persons tax allowance as we were earning similar money , there was no point in obtaining married allowance.

I received my means test and the social welfare have awarded me an allowance of €5.90 per week. This is a 96% decrease. They do not take into account any outgoings.

Considering my wifes wage , as such pays the bills and mortgage and so on , we were living on my JSB , where as now €5.90 per week would not even pay the esb bill in the month.

In the past 2 years, we had to pay the 1% levy , while I was working and my Wife had another 1% in April , a 7% pay cut and now a 96% decrease in the allowance, which makes it near impossible to pay the mortgage. so from a personal income of €32,000 Gross , has now dropped to €306.80 per year. How can anybody survive on this??

I have this morning contacted my CWO and been advised that he can not help me as my wife works more that 30 hours per week.

Thanks for reading my rant , But if there is anyone that can advise me or tell what I can do , would be muchly appriciated.

At least Ive my health, Happy Christmas to all!!

Regards

Philip

You're being means tested because your entitlement to Jobseeker's benefit has run out and you are now only entitled to Jobseeker's Allowance. As your wife is working then you are assessed on your joint earnings for the allowance payment.

There are many unemployed people in this country who are in the same situation as you. There is nothing else you can do - the CWO hands' are tied so your only other option is to look into a payment moratorium on your mortgage; interest only payments for a few months until you get a job; and also reducing all your household bills. Have you considered renting a room out as well?

If you are aware of someone who is working while claiming illegally you should report them for social welfare fraud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back