McAfee Security Centre & Popup's

boris

Have been using McAfee Security Centre since I bought my present laptop.

However in the last week have been getting a lot of popup's with advertising looking for my mobile number, love sites, games etc. All these website address's start with "CiD:".

Have been looking at McAfee but not sure if I have not configured it properly or it just doesn't protect against this sort of thing.

Anyone have any suggestions before I accidentally click on these annoying sites.

:mad:

Get rid of McAfee and get a decent security tool suite - even some of the free ones are better than McAfee. See the clean PC thread pinned at the top of this forum.

Have been using McAfee Security Centre since I bought my present laptop.
Is it a trial version or did you pay for a full subscription?

However in the last week have been getting a lot of popup's with advertising looking for my mobile number, love sites, games etc. All these website address's start with "CiD:".
These things happen!
No offence meant… What were you doing before the ‘infection’ happened? Had you followed a ‘You’re the millionth click winner’ or ‘Congratulations! You’ve won!’ link? Had you received suspicious emails from unknowns?
When did you last check for McAfee updates? When did you last run a McAfee scan?

Have been looking at McAfee but not sure if I have not configured it properly or it just doesn't protect against this sort of thing.
I'm no lover of McAfee but have been using it for years and AFAIK I have not had any problems (I could possibly be blissfully ignorant but I don't think so...) I also use Spybot and Ad-Aware. Sometimes they will pick up items not picked up by McAfee (and vice versa).

Anyone have any suggestions before I accidentally click on these annoying sites.
Open Security Centre (right click red M beside the clock) Usually opens at HOME:protection Status. Top right has "Am I protected?" Yes/no...
Bottom right has SecurityCentre Information. Today mine reads:
Update Check: 05/07/2008
Last Scan: 04/07/2008
Subscription Expiration: 04/06/2009
Licenses Purchased: 1
That's mostly (or all) at the default McAfee recommended settings.

There are free AV products out there and some may be better than McAfee (which is sometimes inclined to almost take over your PC when working)
However if it is a configuration issue you may just be moving the deckchairs on the Titanic by changing software and not configuring properly. Removal of McAfee can also be fun. NOT!!!

McAfee SHOULD work.
Is McAfee up to date and have you scanned all your files recently?
HTH

Thanks for that Crugers. No offence taken but did not do any of those things that you mentioned and certainly don't open up strange emails.

Have a full sub to McAfee and it updates everyday.

Logged onto their website and put the query to them. However they have not got back to me yet.

Will keep trying as it is blooming annoying at the moment.

...Have a full sub to McAfee and it updates everyday.

Logged onto their website and put the query to them. However they have not got back to me yet...

And have you run a recent full scan and found nothing? Does Security Centre Protection Status say you are 'Fully Protected'?

Time to try
Spybot (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/index.html) and Ad-Aware (http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-20...=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5&cdlPid=10844457) conjunction with McAfee? Both are free to download for private use.
HTH

Back