MBNA CC outstanding balance (8yrs old)

J

joyster74

Hi,

I want to apply for a CC however, i had a CC with MBNA about 7/8yrs ago. I'd forgotten about it, until recently. I haven't used the card since, but i think i've an outstanding balance on it.

If i apply for a CC now, do you think the outstanding balance will show. I want to apply for a CC with RBS, or even my own bank (AIB). But am worried that if i do the balance (+ interest) will be on record, and i'll be asked for it.

Is there a timeframe for when CC companies write off bad debts??

Any advice appreciated,

joyster74

Missed payments/defaulted loans will normally remain on your ICB records for 5 years after being sorted out/settled. Policies on bad debts may vary from lender to lender but I would expect most to make some effort, possibly including selling the debt to a collection agency, to get some recompense for outstanding liabilities. You can to see if there are any missed payments/defaulted loans listed.

I am not sure, but I think most instutions will close off a dead account after a couple of years, even if it was unpaid, however legally they can keep it open for quite a while.

You should contact the Irish Credit Bureau to see if the card is mentioned because if it is it will probobly cause problems. Clear the balance on it before you apply

Back