MBNA CC change in method of payment

Murt10

Just received my MBNA statement.

They no longer allow you to go into a bank and pay over the counter. You must now use one of the following methods. Direct Debit, the Post Office, Standing Order, by post or Telebanking.

This is most inconvienent and I feel that I am losing some element of control.

I don't like DD's where someone has the right to go to my account and take money out without my express permission.

As for the Post Office, I havn't been in one of those in years. The queues of people collecting their Dole or other SW payment has been enough to put me off going near them.

A Standing Order is no good either as the amount I would wish to lodge would be different every month.

Sending a cheque doesn't appeal either as I would be afraid that the cheque would be lost in the post. I wouldn't realise this until my next bill arrived by which time some extortionate charges would have been applied. At least at the moment if my account is not credited I can argue that I paid on time and that it's the banks fault for any delay

Telebanking, I don't like that either. I'm always afraid of some form of spyware being used to clear out my current account. Naturally if this is going to happen, it's going to happen when I'm abroad so as to maximise my inconvienence.

I think it may be time to leave MBNA

Murt

You would wonder why they don't want over the counter payments via banks? Have the big 4 banks suddenly told them they won't handle payments for them or do they charge MNBA money on each payment in this manner?

Personally I would find telebanking the least objectionable as you can alter the amount paid. If you are worried about doing it online use the phone instead.

Murt10 said:
Just received my MBNA statement.

I don't like DD's where someone has the right to go to my account and take money out without my express permission.

Amen to that brother.

Murt10 said:
A Standing Order is no good either as the amount I would wish to lodge would be different every month.

If they can take a standing order doesn't that mean they can also take a series of once off payments. Isn't the once off payment just a limiting case of a standing order with one payment?

Asking with interest as I'd like to stop MBNA, BOI and Eircom direct debiting me and go to individually authorised on-line payments.

if you register with www.billpay.ie and you own a laser card you can pay your mbna cc online as well as all your household bills straight from your bank account saves queing

racquel said:
if you register with www.billpay.ie and you own a laser card you can pay your mbna cc online as well as all your household bills straight from your bank account saves queing

And it is also the fastest (at least for me), the money is usualy credited to my MBNA account the next business day and the funds taken out of my account usualy 2 days after that.

Back