mazda 3

blueshoes

hi, i am just wondering does anyone know anything about the mazda 3? is it a good car? how much would one be? new? also a 03/04 thanks in advance

Mazda 3 1.6 Comfort Saloon 4 1.6 Litre €21,070
Mazda 3 1.6 Touring Saloon 4 1.6 Litre €22,495
Mazda 3 1.6 Touring A/T Saloon 4 1.6 Litre €24,135
Mazda 3 1.4 Comfort hatch 5 1.4 Litre €19,945
Mazda 3 1.4 Touring hatch 5 1.4 Litre €21,375
Mazda 3 1.6 Touring hatch 5 1.6 Litre €22,495
Mazda 3 1.6 Touring Auto hatch 5 1.6 Litre €24,035

TOP GEAR REVIEW: 4 OUT OF 5 STARS

We reckon Mazda is on a roll. The 3 makes a fine sibling to the very impressive 6

The Mazda 3 is another success for the reinvigorated Japanese company. Styling-wise, there's a family resemblance to the sharp-looking 6. This body is built on the platform that will also form the basis for the next Ford Focus.

Although the finesse and lively feel of the Focus is not here to such a degree, the 3 can tackle corners just fine. But this cornering prowess is gained at some expense of the ride quality.

So far, we've tried the 1.6 and two-litre versions - the two-litre model has the tautest suspension, but in either car one soon becomes well acquainted with the lumps and bumps of uneven tarmac.

Generally, there's a pleasing weight to the controls. The steering has a decent amount of meatiness and there's a good, substantial feel to the brakes.

The 1.6-litre model seems to have a better balance, with slightly lighter and faster steering, a nimbleness and a certain spark to it. By comparison, the two-litre, 148bhp version feels a little bit staid.

The 3 has inherited many things from its bigger brother - including design philosophy, engines and handling talent - but some not-so-welcome aspects have also been passed over, like the wearisome cabin noise.

The Mazda3 is an infinitely more serious contender in this market than the old 323, with generous interior space, competitive prices on offer and even a little style into the bargain.

Good Luck ;)

I had a mazda 3 as a rental car for a few days last year and lovely car to look at with great equipment level overall was very impressed!

Just one word of warning though, depending on the level of driving you are doing and whereabouts you are based, I did find that the one time I had to go on a long drive eg approx 70 miles on country roads (eg very potholey/bumpy!) it was not very comfortable or great for harsh road surfaces. Have driven a focus in similar roads and would have found that better ...although I think they are based on a similar chassis.

However for city driving, motorways, dual carriageways etc, it was a nice drive!

sam78 said:
I had a mazda 3 as a rental car for a few days last year and lovely car to look at with great equipment level overall was very impressed!

Just one word of warning though, depending on the level of driving you are doing and whereabouts you are based, I did find that the one time I had to go on a long drive eg approx 70 miles on country roads (eg very potholey/bumpy!) it was not very comfortable or great for harsh road surfaces. Have driven a focus in similar roads and would have found that better ...although I think they are based on a similar chassis.

However for city driving, motorways, dual carriageways etc, it was a nice drive!

You are correct. The Mazda has firmer suspension settings. The Focus has superior ride and handling charachteristics.

Hi There,

I own a Mazda 3 1.6 Touring A/T Saloon and can say that I think its a really good car, but can confirm that it does have quite a bumpy ride on bad roads, but on the open road it is very,very comfortable.

The interior is excellent and the fuel performance is very good. A great engine (im humble opinion) and overtaking is a dream.

I love the look of the car - head on, but no too impressed with back.
The only bad part of the design of the car would be the boot, try to open it - spring loading from the button isn't the best (why can't we have american style opening of cars here in Ireland i.e. press the button and the door pops up)

Would recommend it though.

You don't like the back of the saloon model? I'm shocked.

I've had one for just over a year now, and the amount of comments I've gotten from people about how good the car looks overall has astounded me. I couldn't believe it when I was approached in car parks etc by strangers commenting on the car (although, in fairness it was only out a few months and there were only a couple around).

The rear of the hatch is terrible, like a fat ass!

I have the 1.6 touring and bar cabin noise, I can't fault it. Also when I bought it (straight cash deal), got around 13% off it (well, off the price with the extra bits and pieces I wanted). Asked the dealer at the time if he'd do the same deal next year (which is now this year), and he said "not a fcukin chance" — SSIA cash etc.

hey thank for the advice. I went to a mazda dealer today and had a test drive in it. I thought it was fab! I love the inside of it, and it was very smooth im not so sure about the back of it though its a funny looking shape the front is lovely looking. I am thinking of getting a 1.4 would I be better of with a 1.6 or is a 1.4 ok for size of car? I still havent made up my mind think I will need another test drive!!

I drove the 1.6 and found it great for overtaking and feeling of a bit more power (like I said am comparing it to the Focus in a 1.4 which while good lacks a little when car is fully occupied and on a motorway!!!)
If insurance and tax isnt a major consideration, I'd definitly consider the 1.6 as its a big enough car and think overall would make a nice difference!

Only saw one the other day for the first time and they do look great. Beautiful looking car. From the above do I take it that you can only get a 1.4 version in the hatch model? Can you get a 1.4 saloon?

Last year when I bought mine, you could only get the saloon in 1.6

EC1
Yes, I don't like the back of my saloon version - I think it is too narrow, compared to the front. The front of the car is gorgeous though and the best feature of the car. I agree the hatchback version of this car is awful looking (only in my opinon now). There is only one version of the car to buy and thats the saloon.

My brother and his wife have a 1.4 hatch, they got the higher spec one with the ac. Nice car but the 1.4 feels underpowered. Probably no worse than any other 1.4 car but not my cup of tea.

I would gor for 1.6 at least and do get the one with the aircon.

Back