Mayo Football Team

Purple

I'm a Dub and so was delighted with the result yesterday but it was twinged with a good deal of sympathy for Mayo. I have huge admiration for their team and staff; they are an inspiration and, more than any other sporting team I can think of, are a fantastic example for kids. Their graciousness, sportsmanship and determination is humbling and admirable so thank you for being such great role models and great men. I can point at you and say to my kids, "look, that's the sort of person you should aspire to be".

I'm not into GAA in the slightest and only turned on the match with 5 mins to go. Can anyone tell me what in God's name was the keeper doing hoofing the ball down to the midfield with the game all square and 1 minute left in injury time? Reminds me of when Conor Murray box-kicked the ball to the All Blacks when Munster could have beaten them by just holding on to the ball.

I'm not into GAA in the slightest and only turned on the match with 5 mins to go. Can anyone tell me what in God's name was the keeper doing hoofing the ball down to the midfield with the game all square and 1 minute left in injury time? Reminds me of when Conor Murray box-kicked the ball to the All Blacks when Munster could have beaten them by just holding on to the ball.

Couldn't agree more. A short kick out to retain possession was essential. It was almost as dumb as Vaughan getting himself sent off when 1. Mayo had won the free and they could have gone further ahead and 2. Dublin were going to be down to 14 men with Small getting a second yellow card. Mayo pressed the self destruct button yesterday imo and the game was theirs too throw away with 7 mins to go, and they duly obliged.

Aye Mayo had a few brain farts once again in a final unfortunately. I know what you're saying Purple, in terms of inspirational teams, this Mayo team are up there and are great role models for all young kids. I do think it's a bit ridiculous to mention them as one of the great teams ever as ultimately you have to win something to deserve that consideration imho but they certainly are an inspirational bunch and should hold their heads up high.

Yes, another disappointment for Mayo. Great credit to them for getting there and giving Dublin their second game of the year (Kerry in league final being the other). I hope that bunch of players stick at it and get their reward. The 'worry' re Dublin is that sheer volume of numbers makes outright domination feasible, whereas even the likes of Kilkenny in hurling were bound to hit an odd dip.

One thing that's annoying neutrals is Dublin's apparent lack of appreciation of the win. Jim Gavin should be a world class poker player, I think he needs a software upgrade to include "visibly happy". Cluxton has the charisma of ...I dunno... don't want to insult the lad. Twould nearly make you wish for 'characters' like "Cake".

I didn't watch the match but I am not sure the goalkeeper did not make the right percentage decision. Let's say his choice was to play safe for a certain draw or do what he did. The ultimate objective is Sam. Mayo were outsiders for this match and would be outsiders for a replay. The kick down midfield gave a marginal advantage to Mayo and made them shade odds on to win it there and then without the need for a replay.

The GAA of course would have preferred he played 'safe'.:rolleyes:

I didn't watch the match but I am not sure the goalkeeper did not make the right percentage decision. Let's say his choice was to play safe for a certain draw or do what he did. The ultimate objective is Sam. Mayo were outsiders for this match and would be outsiders for a replay. The kick down midfield gave a marginal advantage to Mayo and made them shade odds on to win it there and then without the need for a replay.

The GAA of course would have preferred he played 'safe'.:rolleyes:

I see where you are coming from but to get the ball to the half-way line by passing to a defender would only have taken an extra few seconds and there was enough time left to mount one last attack, which Dublin were able to do. Anyways, once Kerry didn't win I was happy :D:D:D

I can understand why a Cork man wouldn't like Dublin and Kerry, just as I can understand why a donkey wouldn't like a racehorse. :p:D;)

Back