Mauritius

B

Baz

Thinking of heading to Mauritius for a week in Jan - anyone been there before? Any tips/advice/comments?

Thanks!

Went there for our honeymoon. Very nice. There is probably not much to do outside the hotel which suited us. If you're into seeing stuff every day it may not suit. Lovely hotels though.

Thanks for that - is there a small village or town that we could browse around? I want to relax for the week but not sure wether I could lie by the pool or on the beach for a full week...

The hotels are dotted around the island so i presume some of them are near or in towns. Ours wasn't (Maritim Hotel).

I went there and it rained most of the time >D ... was bad luck though I think the weather is usually good.

The capital (Port-Luis) is quite big city (and there are several other large towns too) ... Other posters are correct though most of the hotels are geared up for you not to leave the hotel for the two weeks (which I would not like but I know many people do) ... I believe there are some fantastic (and fantastically expensive) hotels also. Most of the hotels are on the North or West coast

There is a bit to do alright - The Sugar Museum is quite fascinating - the Botanical Gardens are supposed to be very good too. Port Louis has plenty shops/markets. Car Rental is easy enough to arrange and the island is small so you can drive around it in a few hours easily.

Overall I thought the island was surprisingly underdeveloped - it is quite a poor country also it is really very densely populated too so it's not a desterted island paradise at all - well over 1 million people live on a really pretty small island

I quite liked it (despite the weather) .. not sure I'd go back though.

Also - you're only thinking of going for 1 week .. Mauritius is a long journey (it's as far away as Singapore or Rio) .. long way to go for a week. If you're looking for a nice hotel in the sun you can probably get what you want without a 12+ hour flight

Been there a year ago for 2 weeks and while we had a great trip (we went there for a Hindu wedding so we saw the real side of Mauritius so to speak) I would have been very dissapointed if we had just went there for a regular holiday.

I think the marketing board of Mauritius have done a great job as everyone believes it to be this paradise island. However, if you are staying in hotels that cost 60-70 euro a night its not such a paradise....just a normal sun holiday and the public beaches were n't that great..crowded and small.
I would n't go back where as I would have no hesitation in going back to Thailand for example.

Did n't think the food was wonderful either....well I was expecing more. we stayed in the West side of the island in Flic en Flac and also spent some time in the north of the island.

Janeom

Back