Mature Student back to college query

FTB1975

Hi Folks,

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct area so feel free to relocate if required.

Here's a synopsis of my situation:

I've been working in my chosen field for the last 14 years and am really not happy. I've job hopped every 2 years or so and have finally reached the conclusion that it's not for me. I'm now on a 12 month contract, due to finish up in Sept.

I applied to return to college earlier this year as a mature student on the off chance I'd get accepted and was doubtful as entry was based on interviews etc (B.Ed course) and only found out I've been accepted.

I've looked into the Student Grant (what's left of it after the last budget) and the Free Fees Initiaitive. Neither of which I'm eligible for based on means for last year and having already completed a 3rd level course.

I may qualify for half my fees and my registration fee to be paid which would be great but I'm more concerned about mortgage/credit card debt and the other day to day expenses.

I have been trying to save over the last couple of months but a few unexpected things have cropped up that have eaten into the savings. I'm looking into selling my car as way of generating cash and removing a potential expense, moving back home isn't an option for me unfortunately.

I'm just wondering what financial assistance options/advice might be out there for someone in this situation.

Thanks,
FTB1975

Back