Maternity entitlements

mprsv1000

My girlfriend and I are moving back to Ireland from the U.K she is just finishing up uni (mature student) and I have a job offer in Dublin that pays around 60,000. We plan to start a family after 6 months or so and I was wondering what she would be entitled to by way of maternity leave? also if she cannot find work ( very little in the physo field ) would we get any benefits? I know 60,000 might seem a lot but looking at what we will have to pay by way of a mortgage and bills in Ireland there would be feck all left at the end of the month and that with only 2 mouths to feed

1. You have to be in employment immediately prior to going on Maternity leave to qualify for state materniity benefit.

2. It is unlikely that she will quaifiy for Jobseeker's Allowance which is means-tested, when your income is taken into account. Unless she was employed in UK in 2005 and then gets a job here for even a week, she won't qualify for Jobseeker's Benefit.

There are lots of jobs not in the physio field that she could do even just to tide her/you over.

Believe me clubman she will be in Mcdonnells, if all else fails, if I get my way, she can give the burgers a nice massage to soften them up.

Does she have to have 40 weeks of prsi contributions before being entitled to maternity leave?

cheers clubman but she has been a student over here for 4 years and will qualify this summer, before that she worked in Dublin for 10 years and I'm guessing you can't put your prsi contributions on hold while you study!

Back