Maternity benefit?

Just the One

I am on maternity leave and plan to go back to work afterwards (not by choice). Do I have to be working a set number of weeks before I can claim maternity benefit again from the government or does it go according to your stamps the previous year?

I have been in full-time employment for the past 6+ years.

see for full details

Rules

Maternity Benefit is paid by the Department of Social and Family Affairs to women who have paid a certain number of PRSI contributions on their own insurance record and who are in recognised work up to the first day of their maternity leave. The last day of work can be within 16 weeks of the expected date of arrival of your baby.
The PRSI contributions can be from employment or self-employment - classes of PRSI that count are A, E, H and S (self-employed).
If you are employed you must have:
  • at least 39 weeks PRSI paid in the 12 month period before the first day of your maternity leave; or
  • at least 39 weeks PRSI paid since first starting work and, in general, at least 39 weeks PRSI paid or credited in the second last complete tax year before the year in which your maternity leave commences. For example, if you are going on maternity leave in 2006, the relevant tax year is 2004. If a tax year later than the relevant tax year has ended before the start of your maternity leave (in this case 2005) contributions in that tax year may be used to help you qualify for maternity benefit.
  • or
  • at least 26 weeks PRSI paid in the relevant tax year and at least 26 weeks PRSI paid in the tax year prior to the relevant tax year. This provision applies to you if your maternity leave began on or after 23 March 2001. If you failed to qualify on the basis of the contribution conditions up to 23 March 2001, you are only entitled to claim maternity leave for any period of unexpired certified leave after 23 March 2001.

Back