Case study Maternity benefit refund

athene_niu

Central debit department was asking to refund maternity benefit paid in 2010 and 2013. I've checked the www.citizensinformation.ie, which said:
Non-EU/EEA/Swiss citizens: Citizens of countries other than the EU/EEA or Switzerland can travel anywhere outside Ireland and get Maternity Benefit for a maximum of 6 weeks.
So I've contacted social benefit department, they explained this rule was from 2017, I still should refund the money.
Then I've noticed there are some mistakes for the refund amount :
1. maternity benefit rate was 225 weekly in 2010, but they charged as 270 weekly
2. From July 2013, maternity benefit has been taxable, which means I paid the tax when I got the maternity benefit.
I think I'm qualified to get the correct amount money.
But their answer was "
The information we have on our records is that your weekly rate of Maternity Benefit for 2010 was €270 per week.
Revenue deals with the tax due to be paid on Maternity.
If you have paid tax on the full amount of Maternity Benefit you may be entitled to a refund of tax once the overpayment of Maternity Benefit has been refunded to the Department of Social Protection. This will be a decision for Revenue."

I don't think revenue will re-calculate my tax back to 9 years ago.
Any idea where I should raise my complain? Will Ombudsman can help with this case?
Thanks for your help in advance!

Central debit department was asking to refund maternity benefit paid in 2010 and 2013.
What/who is the central debit department?
Any idea where I should raise my complain?
What exactly is your complaint and against whom?
Will Ombudsman can help with this case?
If it's against a public service then they may:

What/who is the central debit department?

What exactly is your complaint and against whom?

If it's against a public service then they may:
Department of Social Protection - Maternity benefit section

Have you considered asking them to explain their clawback decision and/or appealing it if necessary?

There were 2 payment rates for Maternity Benefit in 2010 - minimum rate was 225 euro, maximum rate was 270 euro. The Department records appear to show that you received the maximum rate at the time.

See page 23 of the booklet linked above.

If you didn't meet the qualifying rules at the time (even if those rules changed at a later time), then you may have been overpaid.

The Central Debt Unit are correct in saying that any tax you paid is a matter for Revenue to deal with.

Back