Maternity benefit questions. Running out of time...please help!

E

evelyn77

Hello,
Bit of background history...

In insurable employment & paid PRSI class A from 2002 to 2007.

Was self-employed from beginning 2008 (didn't pay PRSI) but then back to insurable employment(PRSI contribution class A1) from 22 Sept 08 till 31 March 10(approx 18 months).

I fell pregnant in Feb 10, my due date is 3 Nov10.

When my contract expired on 31 March 10, i didn't extend and has been unemployed since. i stood in for a colleague who went away on holiday from 5-23 July10 (3 weeks) & earned total income about 4000 euro- need to declare tax myself,hence i assume it's non-insurable employment and i have not made any PRSI contribution from this (not sure if i can make contribution, and how to got about it).

i was told that i don't entitle to any maternity benefit as i didn't work into 24 weeks while in my insurable employment. i was about 9 weeks pregnant when i left my job on 31 March10.

Just recently, another SW officer checked my PRSI contribution and suggested that since i have made lots of contribution, i should apply anyway, maybe they will consider giving me some benefit.

i also called to the maternity benefit centre today to clarify the situation. The person told me that if i can get a week's of insurable employment between 19 July and before baby is due on 3 Nov (any work after 19 July will qualify me as being within the 16 weeks ), i might qualify. This only left me with 4 weeks from now till baby is born and i seriously don't think that's anyway possible( who will want to employ me now? or can i work for a family member?)

Can anyone shed some light to my situation?
My questions:
1) i did work for the week of 19-23 July, but didn't pay any PRSI and the social welfare officer told me that my work wouldn't be considered as insurable. can i backdate/pay my own PRSI contribution now? can i pay class A?
or can i ask the company that paid me registered me an insurable employment,backdate & pay PRSI for me?

2) can i work for family member for 1 week from now(my brother in-law has a private company)? what implication will be for his company if he takes me as insurable empolyee for 1 week? does anyone know how many hours/day for 1 week to qualify as the social welfare officer didn't tell me.

3) There's just 4 weeks till my due date. can i still put in my application?

4) if by all the above fails, is there any point that i write an appeal letter to them? Has anyone with the experience of been refused get their case revised after the appeal letter?

it would be great if can get some maternity benefit, considering the amount of PRSI contributions i've made over the years. Extra cash would really be handy for me in the current economic climate.
Thank you for your time reading & answering my questions!

Back