materials for installing electric shower

P

paddy

Any electricians know what materials I need for installing an average electric shower in a normal house and how much they cost...

thanks

paddy...

Not sure about what you need but I had one installed and the cost was around €500 (for the shower and the instalation) I think. I'm unsure of exact costs as it was part of a bigger project.

//

I would have thought that if you need to ask what you even need to fit the thing, then you shouldn't be considering fitting it yourself!

Re: //

I am doing the exact same at the moment. Basically you will need some 10 square cable to run from existing electric junction box up through attic? and then to shower area. You will need a 40amp circuit breaker on the board to connect this to.

Then you will need 1 or 2 metres of 1/2 inch copper piping to take from the tank in the attic. You will need to know how to connect that up, or get an expert.

Then you need a good few metres of acorn piping or polyflex as it is known. You need a valvle connector to connect the copper pipe and polyflex.

Then run the polyflex behind the wall to where you want the shower.

You also need a shower pull cable ......

shower

well legend99 you have no idea why I am asking this question...I never said I was installing it myself , I merely asked the question, to ensure as i suspect I was being ripped off........I always find it amazing why people have to answer questions even when they have no idea of the answer you are asking........I possibly should ask the questions and explain why I want the answer..mmm bit longwinded...

I think with no disrespect your question was extremely open ended and I gave an answer to you honestly.
If you are looking for an answer to a question, I suggest you ask the right question.
Incidentally, you wouldn't always take your supply off the tank. That would depend on what shower you have. Some come off the cold tank. Some off the cold tank and hot cylinder. And some off the mains

Shower

Decbuck,
I think you need to run a seperate 10 square earth to your shower, I don't think 10 square twin and earth is advised as the earth has to be seperate, maybe i am wrong but when i was installing showers that was the law at the time.....

Re: Shower

Nixer Plumber €500 - €600 (This includes any pipework and fittings)
Nixer Electrician - to fit MCB/RCD €50 - €100 (This includes MCB/RCD)

Nixer Plumber €500 - €600 (This includes any pipework and fittings)
Nixer Electrician - to fit MCB/RCD €50 - €100 (This includes MCB/RCD)
Ability to sleep soundly at night knowing that you aren't supporting tax evasion and the black economy - Priceless.

Indeed quite true Rainyday ... but I have to say I've yet to find a plumber/electrician who takes VISA :rollin

It would always be my preference to get things done properly by a guy with proper insurance etc... but it just seems the default payment method etc. on all of this is cash ... In all seriousness any suggestions how to find a reasonable guy who'll do a reasonable job (any trade for example) and be properly set up /registered etc and I can know that my hard earned (and tax paid) cash isn't going tax free to them.

In all seriousness any suggestions how to find a reasonable guy who'll do a reasonable job (any trade for example) and be properly set up /registered etc and I can know that my hard earned (and tax paid) cash isn't going tax free to them.
I must say that I haven't found it that difficult to find registered, professional tradespersons who will issue proper paperwork and (I assume) are paying proper tax. I generally don't accept those 'friend of a friend who can do the job on Saturday' recommendations. I look for someone who isn't afraid to put his name/trade up on his van.

A guy with a named van came to do a job for the neighbour. Job to cost €80. Neighbour says what's the cash price - without blinking an eye €50.

Name or van or no name on van - they are still dodging the tax man.

Shower

Decbuck,

How much did the materials cost you?

I'll be getting an electric shower fitted very soon. I'm on an extremely tight budget - bloody kids!!!

I just need to know what it's likely to cost for the materials. I already have the actual shower.

Thanks in advance.

Well I am doing it this weekend. Well I'll do electrics and cousin will do the plimbing.

Not too sure. I don't have all the stuff yet,

But here is a rough guide price so far.

10 square cable, I gt 10 metres, depends hwo much you need. That costs about €1-90 a metre.

The 40amp elcb, about €30. Circuit breaker might be cheaper.

Pull cable for bathroom about €15.

Thats all I have.

I guess the other stuff could cost another €40 or more.

So all in all it might cost in and around €100. Could be a bit more. But not too bad considering what the labour costs.

shower

My borther installed an electic shower in the bathroom and the cost of the materials was almost €370 (that includes the electric shower - Triton T90 which was €269)

Blacker than black

If I got a Plumber out of the Yellow Pages.
What Guarantee would I have that he will pass on the tax I paid to the taxman. For that matter how do I know a nixer plumber does not declare it in his tax return.

Next you will be trying to put me in the same boat as Ray Burke.
Remember, 'those without sin should throw the first stone', obviously from previous posts, your holier than thou attitude, you must be a 100% Tax Compliant saint otherwise there would be no point in having this debate and remember
I must say that I haven't found it that difficult to find registered, professional tradespersons who will issue proper paperwork and (I assume) are paying proper tax.
You mean you could possibly be supporting tax evasion..
When you assume, you make an 'ass' of 'u' and 'me'.

The difference is I am willing to admit to sin and without having to look for costs in the high court.

Falcon
I also have a Triton T90 (9.5kw) €269 Homebase 10% off Friday's - Good Shower, but can be a bit noisy.
Watch out, Rainyday may want to find out if you got a receipt......;)

Back