Masters not eligible for BTEA support - Why ?

We have assumed thst there is no work in this field, & that a person already has a professional qualification & still cannot find work, hence the reason for doing the post-graduate studies. Just to note that you can also get another professional qualification by doing a post-grad course in case you didn't know.
People need to realise that education is not the answer to a broken life.

There are many people with average degrees, out of work and competing for very limited positions with many quality candidates around.

They need a more creative approach to getting ahead. Maybe start a business, make contacts somethign different than the usual, ah I will get a masters and then I will be fine. No, you will just waste another year and thousands more of your or taxpayers money.

People need to realise that education is not the answer to a broken life.
A broken life????
Who here is saying education in and of itself guarantees success?
They need a more creative approach to getting ahead. Maybe start a business, make contacts somethign different than the usual, ah I will get a masters and then I will be fine. No, you will just waste another year and thousands more of your or taxpayers money.
I can't disagree that a 'more creative approach' may be required. However, there is no guarantee of finding that 'creative approach' and making it work either.
I don't think anyone here is under the illusion that 'getting a masters' will solve all their working life problems - those days passed many many years ago at this stage.
Can education help - well, it certainly cannot hurt can it? Are they not better off undergoing F.E. with taxpayers money rather than having no focus whatsoever on benefit ie. also taxpayers money? I certainly wouldn't knock people taking a positive step like this.

My tuppence worth to this debate:

In the good times, the peopel left lanquishing on the 'dole' were those who had left school at an early age without any great qualifications. In was in this context that the BTEA was introduced; as an incentive for people to educate themselves to a level where they could contribute to society by working. This option included second-level BTEA support as well as support up to ordianry degree level. The exclusion of a Master's from such support would seem practical and logical when the aims of the scheme are understood. Now that the economic situation has deteriorated, the goalposts may have shifted in that the demographics of those signing on have changed. And in the light of the government's constrained finances, I doubt that it would be feasible to extend the BTEA to include Master's degrees; in fact, the change may be restricted even more than it is at the moment, the aim being to get people back to work rather than use scarce funds to educate them beyond degree level.

........the aim being to get people back to work rather than use scarce funds to educate them beyond degree level.

Understand your point Welfarite & the reason for BETA, but the aim above is non-existent in some fields now & the government don't seem to be doing anything to create new work etc. Note also that there seem to be queues of persons waiting to get onto FAS courses too. Government is doing nothing to help here either.

Understand your point Welfarite & the reason for BETA, but the aim above is non-existent in some fields now & the government don't seem to be doing anything to create new work etc. Note also that there seem to be queues of persons waiting to get onto FAS courses too. Government is doing nothing to help here either.

Agreed. Government will probably react when crisis is over.

Query for Postgradder

Postgradder;I've a similiar backround to yourself and was also considering an accounting post grad conversion course. Did you take on the course?If so would you mind sharing your experience with me?
Thanks in advance.

Back