Mastercard Charges Abroad - China

black_pearl

Hey everyone,

I have four quick questions, I think this is the most suitable forum for them.

1 - How much are you charged per transaction (eg-in a shop) to use a Mastercard outside of the Eurozone, specifically China?

2 - How much are you charged to withdraw money from an ATM? (the card will contain funds, I will simply be taking out my own money) The bank teller in AIB didn't have a clue - "it depends on the bank but about a fiver per transaction" Aaggh-I'm a student!!!

3 - Any ideas how I could find out what banks AIB has links with in China?

4 - Has anyone any personal experience of using a Mastercard in China? I read on the Lonely Planet boards that Visa is more widely accepted, however AIB & BOI wont give me a Visa because I'm still only a student.

Thanks in advance!

black_pearl said:
Hey everyone,

I have four quick questions, I think this is the most suitable forum for them.

1 - How much are you charged per transaction (eg-in a shop) to use a Mastercard outside of the Eurozone, specifically China?

2 - How much are you charged to withdraw money from an ATM? (the card will contain funds, I will simply be taking out my own money) The bank teller in AIB didn't have a clue - "it depends on the bank but about a fiver per transaction" Aaggh-I'm a student!!!

3 - Any ideas how I could find out what banks AIB has links with in China?

4 - Has anyone any personal experience of using a Mastercard in China? I read on the Lonely Planet boards that Visa is more widely accepted, however AIB & BOI wont give me a Visa because I'm still only a student.

Thanks in advance!

your parents or someone else who trusts you could apply for an additional cc account with a small limit and put you down as an authorised user which would mean you get your own card but share the cc number with the other person.

Back