Management Company, Owner Occupiers and Local Authority Tenants

Tadaima

I am a recent owner occupier in an apartment block. Many of the originally private apartments have been bought by the local authority for their tenants. The owner occupiers and tenants are respectful of the property and each other. Recently, windows have been smashed in the shared spaces by a local authority tenant's visitor and the management company have arranged for the block insurance to pay for it, even though they know who did it, as that person has no money and the tenant claims they were not their visitor.

Visitors to this particular apartment all have the code for the main door too and hang around the shared spaces. The Gardai have been involved and caught the person who caused the damage but cannot prove they were a guest of a tenant. Can the management company do something? The door code has been changed in light of this but it has not changed the lack of security.

I'll be attending my first AGM soon but don't want to cause trouble for myself with my neighbours. Any advice on how to approach it at the meeting?

The management company is the entity that owns the common areas of which you are a member (and some of the residents will be directors) the management agent is who you will have employed to manage these common areas on your behalf. The management agent can contact the owner of the property to register the complaint about their tenant for sure.

To be honest I don't think the AGM is the place to raise or discuss an individual item. I think you should give the management agent a call and discuss your concerns. A lot could be happening behind the scenes on this that you may be unaware of.

To be honest I don't think the AGM is the place to raise or discuss an individual item. I think you should give the management agent a call and discuss your concerns. A lot could be happening behind the scenes on this that you may be unaware of.
Correct. Have contacted the agent who have said they will contact the owner (council) and confirmed the Gardai are aware of the situation but could not tell me what that means.

I am a recent owner occupier in an apartment block. Many of the originally private apartments have been bought by the local authority for their tenants. The owner occupiers and tenants are respectful of the property and each other. Recently, windows have been smashed in the shared spaces by a local authority tenant's visitor and the management company have arranged for the block insurance to pay for it, even though they know who did it, as that person has no money and the tenant claims they were not their visitor.

Visitors to this particular apartment all have the code for the main door too and hang around the shared spaces. The Gardai have been involved and caught the person who caused the damage but cannot prove they were a guest of a tenant. Can the management company do something? The door code has been changed in light of this but it has not changed the lack of security.

I'll be attending my first AGM soon but don't want to cause trouble for myself with my neighbours. Any advice on how to approach it at the meeting?
You change the codes. Where I live the entrance gate codes have been changed at least 3 times in 10 years. The management company obviously need to have a good talking to to the tenant whose allegedly responsible to giving others the codes.

The codes got changed last month........but it appears they have just given the new code out again to numerous visitors. I was at the AGM last week. There appears to be an attitude of 'nothing we can do' about local authority tenants who don't abide by the rules unless it is gross misconduct. I would have thought broken windows was gross misconduct. Apparently not. The management company now want me to pay for attic insulation (minus SEAI grant) as I am on the top floor. I am willing and happy to pay for this........but my portion only. The whole block benefits so this cost should be shared, surely? It's all very vague........... what the council will pay for their apartments in terms of insulation.

As with apartments on lower floors I believe your responsibilities end at your ceiling and anything above that is the responsibility of the OMC/other apartment owners, unless your property has a specific exclusion e.g. you must paint the interior walls but walls in corridors or common areas or exterior walls are not your responsibility. IANAL.

As with apartments on lower floors I believe your responsibilities end at your ceiling and anything above that is the responsibility of the OMC/other apartment owners, unless your property has a specific exclusion e.g. you must paint the interior walls but walls in corridors or common areas or exterior walls are not your responsibility. IANAL.
Yes. The attic is not mine so surely I should not have to put the insulation in at my cost only. I would like it to be insulated but surely at a shared cost. But I have been told the cost is for me.

The OMC asked for access to the attic through my apartment for a company to do it as they want to do it and recommend it but informed me I would be paying for it. (minus the SEAI grant)

The OMC asked for access to the attic through my apartment for a company to do it as they want to do it and recommend it but informed me I would be paying for it. (minus the SEAI grant)
Maybe the attic space above your unit is part of your property and, thus, your responsibility? If you have access to it from your place then that might suggest that this is the case? Otherwise one might expect access to be via the common areas? I would imagine that your property deeds should clarify what the extent of the property is?

Thanks. Not clear from what I can see on the paperwork I have. Will ask my solicitor to clarify. If the attic is mine then I will look to insulate it soon and put stairs and a velux window into it......if allowed.

and put stairs and a velux window into it......if allowed.
Stairs is one thing, but a velux would require modification to the roof which you do not own and are unlikely to get permission for due to increased risk of leaks.

Will the works to be carried out improve the BER rating of the building as a whole, making it more energy efficient for all occupiers? If so there is an argument for the shared cost of the works.

On the other side of the argument, how can the OMC demand work that only improves your property?

It is my belief that a case could be made for disruption to family life in your apartment and a commitment by the OMC on behalf of their agents to make good any damage caused during the works or afterward.

Yes the works will improve the BER rating of the building as a whole. This is why I feel a bit annoyed that I was asked to pay for it all. We probably will put another layer of attic insulation in ourselves when it suits us. We will forget the SEAI grant (just inflates the end price imo) and not go with their company of choice as it's cheaper to just do ourselves and not big work.

So did you ever ascertain what the extent/boundary of your property is and if it includes the attic area?

I did. I own the attic but not the roof. I am not really able to do anything with the attic as I have to give right of way to it if there is a leak etc.

Back