Male Driving Insurance

K

Kildare guy

Hi

Just wondering if anybody can help as to what direction or what insurance company I might get the best quote? My situation

• 39 year old married man.
  • Always rode a motorcycle.
  • My wife had a car before we were married and had a full driving licence.
  • I took the driving test 15 years ago and passed.
  • Went on wife’s policy as a named driver.
  • Never had my own policy for a car.
  • No accidents no penalty points.
  • Thinking about getting a second car and getting insurance.
  • First company I rang will not handle me as I have No Clams Bonus.
  • Where can I go with out getting shafted for the first time.

Or is it a case of biting the bullet and take it like a man :)

You could try a broker such as the AA, who will get you quotes from a number of inurers [broken link removed]

I'd recommend Hibernian or Allianz - if you are still a named driver on yr wifes vehicle, they SHOULD allow you 2/3 yrs NCB for being a named driver for so long. If not, the best way is probably a cheap car, TPF&T with Quinn direct and switch after 12 months. Hope this helps.

Try the insurers of your wife's car. As you are a named driver on her policy and claims free they may give you a introductory no claims bonus.

Quinn Direct give almost the same discount for named driving experience as they do for NCB. My sister recently got her own car and her quote from them went from €1283 to €875 with her 2 years as a named driver on her husbands car. If she had a 2 ncb in her own name the price would have been approx €820, so you can see they give almost as big a discount for named driving experience.

Thanks for all the info. I have done some more ringing around and got a quote from €860.00 to my latest one which I find hard to believe, €300.00 Fully Comp. They are giving me five years NCB for being a long term named driver. I got the quote on Friday and I am waiting for it in the post on Monday. If it all seems OK I will give the details here for others in the same situation.

Thanks Again

Kildare guy said:
They are giving me five years NCB for being a long term named driver.

I got the same from FBD some years ago. One of the few who did so. Please do share who it is.

I got credit from Royal and Sun Alliance for being named for 5 years when I took out my own policy with them, got 2 years NCB. Not bad.

Back