Making recommendations by private message?

Reminder, recommendations via private message are not allowed. Keep them public.

Apologies, I thought it was the reverse. I used 'Tony Painting Blackrock' for my house, and can recommend. The house was empty at the time so this probably impacted the cost. They did a great job in my opinion and haven't had any issues thus far. I used mostly colourtrend paints and some dulux,

I follow Farrelly & Co and instagram, there is something relaxing about watching paint being rolled onto a wall!

Reminder, recommendations via private message are not allowed. Keep them public.
Hi Leo,

Does it say that in the posting guidelines?

I get that service providers shouldn’t be doing it, but happy customers?

Yes, it makes sense as we want everyone to benefit from the information, but I can’t find the prohibition on it.

Many thanks,

Gordon

Does it say that in the posting guidelines?
It used to, but looks like that piece might have been dropped! I'll check it out.

I get that service providers shouldn’t be doing it, but happy customers?
We've had problems in the past with businesses registering as users and pretending to be satisfied customers and posting recommendations via PM, and then posters employing them coming back with problems.

Posting publicly also benefits other users who require the same service and saves the endless 'PM me too' messages you see elsewhere.

I don't know when or why we dropped it from the Posting Guidelines. I don't remember discussing it.

We found some people had registered and never posted, but just advertised either themselves or some other service. The mods might not be aware of this.

We have stopped new users i.e. people with fewer than 10 posts initiating contact by PM so maybe we don't need the guideline anymore?

Our preference would still be for recommendations to be made publicly.

But if Gordon wants to send the name of a car mechanic to Baby Boomer, that is probably fair enough?

Brendan

Another issue is if you publicly recommend a local it may identity you to others.
Also a local service is probably not of interest to anyone who is not local.

I don't know when or why we dropped it from the Posting Guidelines. I don't remember discussing it.

We found some people had registered and never posted, but just advertised either themselves or some other service.
Yep, can see how this would be a problem.

We have stopped new users i.e. people with fewer than 10 posts initiating contact by PM so maybe we don't need the guideline anymore?
Maybe allow recommendation by PM when a poster specifically requests it?

Our preference would still be for recommendations to be made publicly.
Ideally, yes, but AlbacoreA's point re public identification is valid. I hadn't thought of that.

But if Gordon wants to send the name of a car mechanic to Baby Boomer, that is probably fair enough?
Ok by me, anyway!

Back