Making more building land available

Purple

Should the State look to CPO a few of the many Golf Courses around Dublin?
South Dublin in particular is lettered with them. Given that they are frequented by a small number of people relative to the massive amount of land they take up it's a very poor use of land. In South Dublin there's Edmondstown, the Grange, The Castle and Milltown all nearly beside each other. Then there's Leopardstown, Elm Park, Foxrock, and Killiney. The Grange in particular is massive. Is it time to get rid of a few of them?

Hi Purple

I would think that we all benefit from them in that they are large green spaces.

Brendan
Only if we have a helicopter to fly over them in.
We could have plenty of green spaces when they are good mixed use housing developments.

While they are used by a small number of people they would be heavily used. Surely you'd CPO unused land first?

Could deal with the many many derilict sites and underused buildings in the city centre first before contemplating CPOs of tracts of land. Even through the Celtic Tiger years large areas of the city centre were left largely idle.

It is good to see the Government asking the RC Church for a list of land that could be used for public housing. I do fear it'll just be a PR exercise and nothing will come of it. In the last 70's it was estimated that the RC Church owned 5.5% of the land within the greater Dublin area. Much of that has been sold off to fund the retirement of aging Priests, Nuns and Sisters but there are still vast tracts of under utilised land, much of it in prime locations.

Could deal with the many many derilict sites and underused buildings in the city centre first before contemplating CPOs of tracts of land. Even through the Celtic Tiger years large areas of the city centre were left largely idle.
HSQ next to Heuston Station is a case in point. Those foundations have been there for years.

Apparently the idea of CPO'ng golf clubs is being floated again now - I was asked to contribute to a radio programme about it, but I don't know enough about it.

Brendan

Apparently the idea of CPO'ng golf clubs is being floated again now - I was asked to contribute to a radio programme about it, but I don't know enough about it.

Brendan
There's an idea! Clontarf golf club springs to mind, huge area 4km from city centre.

There's an idea! Clontarf golf club springs to mind, huge area 4km from city centre.

From the Irish Times 27/11/2021
"An Irish property developer has approached Clontarf Golf Club with a land swap proposal that would involve the club relocating to 185 acres in Kinsealy that were previously part of the Abbeville estate owned by the late taoiseach Charlie Haughey. In return, Green Land Capital would get the opportunity to develop the 72 acres in Clontarf for housing. Some 62 acres of the club's land is leased from Dublin City Council, who would have to consent to any development and rezone the site for housing. The other 10 acres are owned by the members."

Take a look at Marlay Park on Google Maps. It is 300 acres. The Grange Golf Club surrounds it on two sides. It is significantly bigger than the park. The park gets well over a million visitors each year. How many people play golf on The Grange?

So a golf course is CPO'd and then gets handed to a developer to make a massive profit on it?

Surely this is political suicide and a total non-runner?

So a golf course is CPO'd and then gets handed to a developer to make a massive profit on it?

Surely this is political suicide and a total non-runner?
I don't think it should be handed to a developer. I'd be more in favour of selling it to the them.

If the Grange site is as big as the adjacent park then between 5,500 and 6,000 dwellings can be built there based in the Department of Housing guidelines published in 2018.

Back