Making electronic transfers from Ulster Bank c/a to Northern Rock

Humpback

Has anyone been able to do this? I tried to set up my Northern Rock account yesterday for electronic transfers from my current account and was told by the UB people that it was impossible to do because they didn't have the facility of putting a reference (your NR a/c number) on the transaction detail?

I find this hard to believe. Did anyone else have this problem?

For what it's worth I have done this from a PTSB account no problem so it should be possible.

Possibly a limitation of UB's online system. Though from my own experience, AIB, NIB and Rabo can all do it. Do UB allow you to pay bills online? That's essentially the same thing -- transfer to a holding account for the utility company, and quote your utility account number as the reference.

I have done exactly what you want to do - several times. I set up the payment details a good while back - when the old online system was in place with Ulster Bank - but I have recently transferred stuff to NR with no problem (just double checking as I write this). I have it set up under 3rd party transfer - with the nr acc no followed by "Ref ACC (my acc number".
Just looked online now - and it is not letting me amend or set up new 3rd party transfers - so maybe thay have changed something - but it can be done and they did it for me in the last 6 weeks.
Get back on to them and complain.
Good Luck

Thanks for the feedback folks. It does appear that it's a system limitation since they made their recent changes.

I was trying to get it done over the phone. Got it done for Anglo Irish bank no problems, but they were adamant that they couldn't handle the reference information for Northern Rock.

That's 2 strikes on UB now from a position where I've been pretty happy with them up to now.

I've had exactly the same problem but still have managed to make electronic transfers from my UB current account into NR. NR don't get the reference field from UB so if you have more than one NR account they don't know which account to put it into when it arrives. By default they put it into your first account. UB told me last year they were going to fix this problem with not passing the reference field but they never did.

NR told me to send them a secure email the day before the electronic payment so they know which
account to put it into!

The process is error prone. I prefer to post them in cheques to avoid the errors.

Back