Making an offer anonymously

Thirsty

I would guess that one can ask a Solicitor to make an offer on your behalf.

Once the offer is accepted, though, at what point does the vendor have to know who the purchaser is?

Does the contract for sale have to have the named purchaser on it before the vendor signs it?

Or can the vendor sign the contract before the purchaser does so?

This isn't anything clandestine or under the counter, just a relative figuring out options.

Does the contract for sale have to have the named purchaser on it before the vendor signs it?
I've no expertise in contract law but I don't see how you can add a pretty important point like this after the contract is signed.

Denis O'Brien bought a house in 2005 using a trust to preserve anonymity but you would need silly money to do this.

Yu also need to aske the question - At what point is the vendor and/or their solicitor likely to refuse to deal with someone playing silly games like that ?

Yu also need to aske the question - At what point is the vendor and/or their solicitor likely to refuse to deal with someone playing silly games like that ?
Making an offer via a Solicitor is perfectly legitimate.

As long as the vendor is happy to accept an offer from someone refusing to be identified
As has been pointed out, the purchaser is named on the contract so they are not 'refusing to be identified'.

If you sell your house at auction, you have no idea who is bidding.

Hi Thirsty

Check with your solicitor.

My understanding is as follows.

Brendan can sign a contract for the purchase of a property.
When he gets the signed contract back he can instruct the other side to make out the final closing documents in the name of Thirsty.

I think that this is better than using a solicitor which might raise questions if the other side were suspicious and did not want to sell to Thirsty.

Brendan

Would that leave Brendan in a dicey position as he has signed the contract?

Back