Making a Will

L

Lilo Lil

How do I go about making a will? Do you have to go to a solicitor? Is there a standard format to making these? Where do you start?
At what stage of life do most people make wills? How much does it cost to make a will? Then is it practice to change this as you have children, gather assets etc?
I really have no clue and need some guidance!

You can make a will yourself, however you are strongly advised not to - even what seems to be the best-drafted layman's will can lead to severe problems and heartache at a time when families etc. really do not need extra stress.

Your solicitor should do you a will for around/under €100 I think.

Most people make wills when they acquire assets e.g. a house etc or when they get dependents. It can be drafted by your solicitor so that you do not need a new one every time you have another child/increase your assets, although of course you can change it as often as you like.

Bear in mind that a marriage negates a prior will.

Quick question on that - we have our wills made (since around 5 years ago) but right now they are at home in a folder and I am thinking that no one would ever know where to find them and they could easily be destroyed. I am planning to buy a fire resistant safe - is this the best way to store them ? I have heard in the past that banks would store this and other types of documentation.. Any ideas?

My husband and I made a will each and it cost us EUR 80.00 as we done it at the same time with our solicitor
individual will cost EUR 50.00.

We have a copy and the original is kept by the solicitor

Probably is. Just wait till the mortgage is paid off and you want to get those deeds - many banks charge you a "search fee" for the privilege!

Carpenter said:
But is that because the bank has a charge on the property?
extopia said:
Probably is. Just wait till the mortgage is paid off and you want to get those deeds - many banks charge you a "search fee" for the privilege!
Nope - the mortgage was with the EBS but was cleared years ago. When the mortgage was cleared I sorted out the removal of the EBS's interest in the property myself at the Land Registry offices in Setanta House, Nassau Street, Dublin 2 and paid them the c. IR£30 fee for this rather than paying the EBS the c. IR£50 fee (exclusive of the Land Registry charge I think) to sort this out. I am just a bog standard current account customer of PTSB with no special dealings with them or my branch and they were happy to take the deeds for safe keeping at no charge. Hope they still have them - I must check some day! :D

They managed to "lose" mine a while ago! Took a few weeks before they turned up.

I don't understand. PTSB managed to lose your deeds? Why the quotes around "lose"?

Isn't that the correct term given that they were not actually lost and did turn up in the end?

Back