Mains pipe through attic

Discussion in 'Water metering and charges' started by Thrifty, 2 Feb 2018.

1. Thrifty

Thrifty Frequent Poster

Have had Irish Water out to my house which is in a terrace. My current mains pipe is through the back gardens of mine and neighbouring properties. They want to bring a new supply from the front and are talking about bringing it up the wall and through the attic, down the other side to connect where the existing pipe enters the house. The more I think about it the more concerned I am about having a mains pipe through the attic especially if there is a risk of a leak. Afraid it would bring the ceiling down on me. Can find very little about it on the internet. What do people think.

2. Leo

Leo Moderator

Last edited: 5 Feb 2018
    Every house in the country with a cold water storage tank in the attic already has a mains water pipe up there. So I wouldn't be concerned about that, but more so the detail around how they propose to route the pipe internally.

Last edited: 5 Feb 2018
  3. SparkRite

SparkRite Frequent Poster

As above, but just make sure you have easy access to a stopcock just after it enters the house. Very important.

4. Thrifty

Thrifty Frequent Poster

Many thanks for the replies. Having spoken to a plumber and builder they would be concerned with this option. Especially about insulating the pipe running up the front of a house so I have rang the contractor and see if other options.

5. Leo

Leo Moderator

Are they suggesting running it externally? That'd be a bit on the ugly side too!!

It's likely that the only alternative might be directional drilling where they bore under the house. It won't suit every situation, and is likely to be expensive though, so you may not want to go to that expense.

6. Peanuts

Peanuts Frequent Poster

Typically they put the pipe in a false downpipe outside the house. This would be insulated. The watermain is then connected to the water main that enters the tank and it backfeeds down to the kitchen. The only other option would be to drill under the house as you say Leo as its a terraced house. If it was a semi-d you could go around the side. IW should be covering the cost, though.

7. Thrifty

Thrifty Frequent Poster

Irish water are covering the cost as a first fix. Will try and see if can go under house first. Waiting for them to get back to me now. Thanks for all advice. Am learning.

8. Leo

Leo Moderator

Legally Irish Water are not responsible for the pipework on your property. They must provide a supply to the perimeter, after that all maintenance costs are supposed to be borne by the homeowner. The First Fix Free scheme is only intended to provide for leak repairs, so it sounds like you might be getting a good deal here.

9. Thrifty

Thrifty Frequent Poster

I agree in one way Leo but it's not just a fix - they want to reroute the mains pipe to come in from the front of the house rather from the back where they currently are.

10. Leo

Leo Moderator

That's what I'm saying, you are lucky they are willing to take on any work here. The mains pipe on your property is your responsibility, they could very easily insist you pay for it.