MABS And The forthcoming budget

Peter54

Having read a lot of responses from posters, advising OP's to wait on MABS instead of paying a debt management company to work on their behalf - and the OP's explaining that there is a six to eight week waiting list for their assistance, at the earliest.

My question is what if the services of MABS is quashed in the coming budget or they reduce their services; surely the people who have waited weeks on the proposed six to eight week stay will be in a bigger predicament.

I know it probably sounded a stupid question but with everything getting cut left, right and center it just crossed my mind that they could also be in the line up for cuts.

I would not think there is a hope in hell of MABS being scrapped or curtailed, in fact it needs to be expanded to deal with the new middle class poor and the small business person. In theory ex small business people should be going to their accountant but unfortunately these days the accountant is owed money too so there is no where for them to get help. MABS was set up originally to deal with the moneylender debt, esb arrears etc, they were never geared to deal with someone with couple of buy to lets, out of work and debt coming out their ears. I just cant imagine that any government could be so stupid as to get rid of them, but then again!!!!!!!!

Any move to cut MABS would sink the government as there is no way that independents and wavering FF/Green backbenchers would support it. Brian Lenihan is much to smart to destroy himself in such a manner.

Back