Lump sum + regular savings - best account?

Gordanus

I have a lump sum of 30K to invest plus regular savings of 750pm. Where's the best place for them? I'd prefer to keep it simple as - ahem! - I'm a simple person. Basically my head's done in with trying to calculate between Rabo & Halifax & ...... I'd appreciate any advice from you experts, bearing in mind that I don't understand the financial lingo. I need to be able to access it fairly easily as I'm saving for a house.

Have you checked the ? This lists the best rates for lump sum deposits and regular savings.

Are you paying into your pension at the top rate ? It is often the most tax-efficient investment you can make.

I assume you may want more or less instant access to this money, so pension payments or other investments aren't appropriate here...(?)

If you have a family member or significant other in whose name you can open an account, open two Rabodirect accounts with €10K in each. Because they only pay their headline rate of 4.75% on amounts up to €10K. Leave those accounts sit.

Stick the other 10K into a Northern Rock account (where it will earn 4.3% gross) and (again, if possible) open two regular saver accounts with Halifax. Or even three, as you and your partner can also hold a joint a/c in addition to one in each of your own names. Then set up DDs for the same date to the Halifax accounts from whatever account your regular €750 saving was going to come from — presumably the account into which your salary is paid? Let's call this your 'transit' account.

Once a month, 4-5 working days before the DDs to Halifax are due, log on to your NR a/c and transfer an extra €1500 into your 'transit' account (that's presuming you have three DDs for €750 going out to the three Halifax accounts).

That's about the 'lowest-maintenance' way of doing it I can see!

Back