Key Post Loyalty discounts with UPC due to 30 day opt out clause on recent price increase.

Sue Ellen

Moderator.
Have read with interest that UPC are currently allowing varying discounts to people in light of their notifications regarding price increases. The window of opportunity for receiving these discounts is based on a 30 day opt out clause in light of the increase.

UPC have a direct line number for their Loyalty Department and it is 061-272190.

There are two threads well worth a read and one maybe two phone calls can produce a great saving if you are prepared to haggle:

Askaboutmoney thread on UPC loyalty discounts

Boards.ie thread on UPC loyalty discounts

Hi Sue

Who is entitled to these savings?

When does the 30 day period end?

Is this because they have raised their prices, which gives everyone an out from existing contracts?

What are the typical savings?

Any existing customer can benefit from these savings, but UPC are naturally enough not advertising this.

I am a UPC customer and I havn't received any notice from UPC about the price increases from 1st March, which seems odd as it is only 1 week away. However, it seems notification depends on a customer's bill run date and as mine is 28th of the month, UPC have told me the price changes for me will be from 28th March onwards.

The 30 day period starts from when UPC notify me of the price changes.

Due to the price rises, existing customers have a no penalty opt out.

Existing customers have some leverage and can secure discounts from the loyalty department if UPC want to keep you.

People are saving up to €10- €50 per month on various subscriptions, but there are also no downgrade penalties within the 30 day period.

From UPC to me this morning from my query....

"You should be contacted shortly regarding any changes.

The notice will outline and breakdown any changes that may take place and if you wish to change to another bundle or downgrade without penalty once you've received the notice you can do so. "

OK,

So I got an email on 21 January.

Our services represent excellent value, however you do have the right to cancel or downgrade your service within 30 days of receipt of this notice without penalty if you choose not to accept these changes.

So I have missed the deadline.

But why can't I cancel the service anyway? What does my contract say? I have no idea where it is.

OK,

So I got an email on 21 January.

So I have missed the deadline.

But why can't I cancel the service anyway? What does my contract say? I have no idea where it is.

UPC don't send out an individual contract. They bury everything in 18 pages of terms and conditions. Each time you join/upgrade/downgrade you agree to a 12 months subscription. Obviously, its a pain to be charged a fee to downgrade/leave. 30 days notice would seem reasonable or even less from the customer viewpoint. The problem for a customer is that if a competitor like Sky etc has a new product/service the barrier of an existing UPC contract stops you from switching.

http://www.upc.ie/pdf/GeneralTermsandconditions28012013.pdf

Each time you join/upgrade/downgrade you agree to a 12 months subscription. http://www.upc.ie/pdf/GeneralTermsandconditions28012013.pdf

So if you have not altered your subscription in any way over the past 12 months, you are effectively out of contract, and free to leave without penalty.

Given the savings others are seeing, you should see what they'll offer you. Just bear in mind that accepting an improved offer ties you into a new 12 month contract period.

Thanks Steiner for answering Brendan's queries and saving me the job :)

I understand there is a €200 cancellation fee if one decides to leave and break the contract during the 12 months.

I recently received the UPC increase letter,and contacted them.Upshot is,I now have their highest package (200 meg BB,100 channels,20 HD channels,anytime world phone package) for e55 a month.Not as good as some on boards,but still 470 less than they were looking for on my current package,and a saving of 300 on list price for the new package.

I received the long anticipated letter today about the price increases which they euphemistically call contract changes. What is annoying is the vagueness of it all. It specifies a total price change of + €7.50 per month, but doesn't break this down. I get 3 separate items, digital TV, home phone, and sky sports/movies, so I have to check the prices myself online or contact customer care. I also get all my bills online, so I wonder why they posted out a hard copy instead of an email or a message in my UPC online account.

I rang upc today, got through to the Loyalty Dep. I was paying around 45 euro a month for ONLY BB. They offered to activate the phone line and leave me with the same BB for only 25 euro a month for the year :) I am a happy customer :)

Got increase of 10.00.

Rang loyalty, spoke to Kevin. They offered me 15 off my package, quoting me a monthly payment of 14.00 for 6 months . then it would be ,39.99! Which I agreed too.

Next bill arrives. Its not 14.99. Its 24? Ring UPC, advise the contract I agreed. The details are there. But the rep stephen,said they will get Kevin ring me back. No call back.

Ring again again, another rep. Fed up at this stage. Advise me they can see what was offered but Kevin will have to ring back as he shouldn't have offered me that.?! Asked to speak to supervisor . told no. Told Kevin will ring back. No call! Rang last Monday. Spoke to a lady rep. Who apologised for the no of times I'd to call and that noone rang back. Assured me of a day I would receive call! That was expected on Friday no one has called!

My first call was 13 Jan 2015

I've been advised today that I was misquoted . I can cancel or accept the current billing.oh and they are sorry!

Last edited:
Got increase of 10.00.

Rang loyalty, spoke to Kevin. They offered me 15 off my package, quoting me a monthly payment of 14.00 for 6 months . then it would be ,39.99! Which I agreed too.

Next bill arrives. Its not 14.99. Its 24? Ring UPC, advise the contract I agreed. The details are there. But the rep stephen,said they will get Kevin ring me back. No call back.

Ring again again, another rep. Fed up at this stage. Advise me they can see what was offered but Kevin will have to ring back as he shouldn't have offered me that.?! Asked to speak to supervisor . told no. Told Kevin will ring back. No call! Rang last Monday. Spoke to a lady rep. Who apologised for the no of times I'd to call and that noone rang back. Assured me of a day I would receive call! That was expected on Friday no one has called!

My first call was 13 Jan 2015

I've been advised today that I was misquoted . I can cancel or accept the current billing.oh and they are sorry!

If ComReg are the regulator for UPC then give them a call. They are quick enough to hold people to contract by quoting recorded messages so surely it will work against them also. Interesting old thread on Boards here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70992793

In my own case when I rang UPC and told them that as a result of their price increases I was thinking of taking my business elsewhere they offered me a series of savings totaling around €300 for the year. They did tell me that I was entering into a new 12 month contract as a result of this.
I didn't get anything in writing from them (I was expecting a mail) until I got a mail this morning with my new bill amount on it and it was in line with what I agreed with them

Only downside was that it took around 45 minutes end to end to get everything sorted and a lot of that was spent on hold. I have to say though it was all very straightforward. The rep also told me to call back "next year " to see what they could do then

I guess the key message is, there is always a deal to be done

If ComReg are the regulator for UPC then give them a call. They are quick enough to hold people to contract by quoting recorded messages so surely it will work against them also. Interesting old thread on Boards here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70992793
I emailed comreg today. I made that very point with the rep today who said that where human error is involved I.e. Kevin made me an incorrect offer they are within their rights! Be interested to see if comreg agree!

Back