Lost job, should I leave flat?

Chenbas27

Hi,

I lost my job through no fault of my own today, along with hundreds of other employees. This was expected to an extent, however my top concern at the moment is accommodation.

This was my second stint working in Ireland and I only had this job for 5 months. I do feel fairly settled here and I really can't face leaving everything behind and moving to another place. I was thinking I could stay in my current flat for another month and relentlessly look for another job here. I'm just worried that I might not find one, and that I would've wasted a lot of money in rent, this flat is quite expensive. I could go back home to my parents in England but would rather not. I'll receive my final paycheck next week along with holiday pay.

My job was quite unique in nature (technology) and it's unlikely I'd find something similar where I currently am. I'd be happy to do temp work or bar work etc,. I said I was settled but this place isn't the most exciting place haha. I'm in a state of limbo and don't know what to do. Have thought of volunteering with Work away too.

Any advice/thoughts much appreciated, has anyone 'gambled' on renting while job seeking? Thanks

I just read my rent contract and it says the landlord can keep my deposit if I leave without giving a month's notice, so I could be screwed either way.

Can imagine how bad and nasty the landlord would be shown to be if he gave YOU a months notice.

Try this poster

Try this poster

Thanks!

There are a lot of vacancies across the technology sector right now. Take a look at the usual recruiter sites along with LinkedIn. Connect with former colleagues who are in employment and see if there are suitable openings where they work.

You might not get the job you want but you should certainly be able to get a job. Then you can take your time looking for the job you want.

Back