Looking to replace EPH Timer ( 1 zone heating only) - WIFI Remote

yygaurav

Hi Everyone

I have 3 zone system in my house and I have moved two zones to nest thermostat. Details below

Zone 1- Heating downstairs - Controlled using NEST thermostat
Zone 2 - Water - Controlled using NEST thermostat
Zone 3 - Heating Upstairs - Controlled using EPH timer

I would like to replace EPH timer ( Zone 3) with a new timer that I can control via the phone / remote. I am happy with thermostat upstairs so just need a new timer instead fo EPH timer that I have for Zone 3.

Any recommendation?

thank you
Gaurav

Would it be feasible to get an EPH gateway for the EPH controller and control it using the EPH Ember app ?

I know you say you’re happy with the EPH thermostat, but with the Nest currently reduced from €250 to €160 would you consider putting in another Nest? Everything will then be in one app and you (or the family) only have to figure out how to use one type of device. Seems like a no brainer to me, most timers that are Internet connected will cost around €100 anyway.

Another option if you want something much cheaper would be to use a smart plug or a device like this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/SONOFF-Wireless-Universal-Automation-Compatible/dp/B0CG8XDJ35/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=12C80SAA4NFIO&keywords=sonoff+basic+r4&qid=1702398582&sprefix=basic+r4+,aps,58&sr=8-3 which is basically a wirelessly controlled switch. The SONOFF device can switch 10A which is multiples of what you need for a typical boiler/pump (not immersion though!). I use a couple of these to control lights in my house where Hue bulbs are not available or practical (like long strings of outdoor spots et ) but they can switch anything really. You can use various apps to control them, even the Philips Hue app in some cases, so you’d set your schedule in the app or Apple Home.

Last edited:
Recommend Drayton Wiser Smart Heating Controls & Thermostats. Have posted elsewhere on these.

I know you say you’re happy with the EPH thermostat, but with the Nest currently reduced from €250 to €160 would you consider putting in another Nest? Everything will then be in one app and you (or the family) only have to figure out how to use one type of device. Seems like a no brainer to me, most timers that are Internet connected will cost around €100 anyway.

Another option if you want something much cheaper would be to use a smart plug or a device like this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/SONOFF-Wireless-Universal-Automation-Compatible/dp/B0CG8XDJ35/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=12C80SAA4NFIO&keywords=sonoff+basic+r4&qid=1702398582&sprefix=basic+r4+,aps,58&sr=8-3 which is basically a wirelessly controlled switch. The SONOFF device can switch 10A which is multiples of what you need for a typical boiler/pump (not immersion though!). I use a couple of these to control lights in my house where Hue bulbs are not available or practical (like long strings of outdoor spots et ) but they can switch anything really. You can use various apps to control them, even the Philips Hue app in some cases, so you’d set your schedule in the app or Apple Home.
Thank you.
Nest: Can you share the link as I see it around 185 euros on internet?

For your second optoin: If my understanding is correct, i will connect it to power supply coming into the EPH controller (and keep the controller on all the time) so anytime I want heating I will power on and then heating will start. thank you.

Recommend Drayton Wiser Smart Heating Controls & Thermostats. Have posted elsewhere on these.
I was hoping that I can find something good quality timer (reasonable price) that will replace the EPH time and keep the same thermostat. This one seems to be around 190 pounds. If that is the case, I can get nest for 160 above

Thanks everyone for your help so far.

I do have an option to go to nest but I am hoping that I can find something reasonable (which provides me just the timer that i need to replace) otherwise nest is not a bad option for 160 euros

Back