Looking for modern household picture...

livEwirE

Hi all,

Myself and my partner have recently moved into a new house and are looking for a picture to put over our fireplace. We are looking for a relatively large modern looking canvas print/painted style picture, no frame, preferably abstract. Any suggestions on places to buy and prices please?

Cheers

~livEwirE~

Roches Stores do some nice canvas prints in various styles and sizes and are not too pricey either.

Good Luck ;)

If memory serves me well I have read in the past on AAM that artists exhibit/sell their paintings on Sundays in Merrion Square (?) near the Natural History Museum. Perhaps others here can confirm.

This key post Framing Services may be useful also.

There is a couple operating a business called Mobile Art Gallery out of a van, they will come out to your house and you can browse through hundreds of pictures (unframed) . He charges extra to frame them. Two years ago he was charging between €50 - €120, but he is still in business cos he rang me last month. As far as I know he only works on the Northside and west as far as Blanch.

Lemonstreet Gallery (no longer on Lemon Street - http://www.lemonstreet.com) and Graphic Studio in Temple Bar have good modern ranges.You're talking limited edition prints and investments here - could start between 300 and 500 depending on size, artist and framing choice.

A few non artist friends of mine bought a canvas or two and some (acrylic or oil) paints and did their own abstract designs which turned out well when hung unframed. They actually did this to jazz up their apartment when selling but then liked them so much that they took them with them.

There are commercial art galleries in most large towns and dozens in cities like Sligo, Cork and Dublin where you can purchase contemporary paintings and sculptures by living artists.

The National College of Art has an annual summer exhibition (in June I think - details on the web) where you can view the work of the next generation of contemporary artists and where some works are for sale.

Art Ireland has a huge fair twice a year. The next one is in the RDS on 13-15 May. www.irishartfair.com

The Royal Hibernian Academy is having their annual exhibition from 21st May onwards. This would generally be expensive but it's a good showcase for what Irish artists are doing these days

The Irish Arts Review has an

Brendan

Back