Looking for advice Ulster bank loan

Bubblegum

In 2005 i took out a stocking loan under the guidance of my future husband i was young and foolish i worked full time and did not farm. I got a farm herd number and rented land paid for land and my future husband bought stock with the 10000 borrowed we thought this would be a good way to make extra money i worked full time also in admin. I married him later that year. The plan was to sell the stock at a profit and pay off the loan yearly which happened in the first year all looked good. Then a second loan 10000 and more stock bought. My husband took care of the animals and all paper work he had his own farm and herd number for farming things started to get mixed up and he was transfered some of the animal into his herd and sold in his name... The stock were sold and he needed the money for his own farm which i reluctanty agreed my loan in my maiden name was left unpaid mostly the loan repayments were not meet and letters started to arrive. I unregistered my herd number as all stock were sold and i was no longer renting land. I spoke with ulster bank in particular one lady who rang and emailed to try and rearrange payments i told her the story and they agreed to put it in joint names other half agreed to this accounts were send in to proof he could pay. The forms where send out to us and the payment plan was over 3 yrs and not 5 as id agreed. I emailed the lady and have to this day copies of all correspondance and emails and she said she will change and post out this was in 2013. The paper work did not come i emailed tried calling she was off sick and no one dealing with it they told me they would get back to me with information but this never happened. I got a letter in Nov saying that if i did not pay up its now 15500 with interest its going to solicitors again i emailed and rang but before christmas there came a court date to attend from a solicitors firm. I rang and put forward a plan that we were willing to do the plan over 5 yrs as planned but not finished another letter a week later to say no they will only accept the full payment as no effort has been made on my behalf to pay it. I rang the solicitor firm again and she said i have one month to make an offer she said 80% of the full amount in full may be accepted we are not in a position to pay in full im still married to this man and he up to his eyes in debt. i dont know what to do should i just bite the bullet and try borrow myself and get a settlement amount. The loan is in my maiden name im so sad i never agreed to this my husband say there is nothing they can do as no collateral was put up against this amount. i only work two days a week now and have jobseekers along with it we have 3 children together. Any advice welcome

Don't borrow more money to pay off a debt. If you have nothing then they cannot get blood from a stone. You have paperwork that shows you wanted to pay this in 2013. I would attend court and explain this to the judge. Tell him you have no means to pay at the moment. Don't make phone calls to anyone regarding this Put everything in writing. If they phone tell them to write to you and hang up.

Who looks after your husbands accounts?
He may be a great farmer, but sounds like a disastrous businessman.

His sister is his accountant, she wouldn't have agreed with any of this. Its a long story his father always would have tried to keep this farm in the family name and got sibblings to borrow money to inject into the farm when they were younger. I was not aware of this until we married, this money is still in the process of been paid back to them monthly even his uncle injected money its a total joke we have no quality of life. He would have taken on debt from the farm when he took over and was unable to pay back and borrowed more money at an extremely expensive borrowing time and was unable to meet his loan repayments onto this past few years again. We even have a small mortgage on the house to do with the farm, we are both very annoyed about all this it would get anyone down. I just don't want my family name been dragged through the courts its not fair.

I just don't want my family name been dragged through the courts its not fair.
Your family name will not be dragged through the courts. No offense but this is old school thinking. Go to court and make your case. This is exactly how debt collectors operate. They try and scaremonger people so don't let them. Stand up and explain your circumstances. Bring a friend for support.

Stall the wall!! Put NOTHING in writing. These debts may be statute barred. The time limit is 6 years. Writing resets the clock. Suggest finding a solicitor who is prepared to mount a statute barred defense. Puts the onus on UB to find their paperwork. Suspect UB can't find anything from 2013 which will make it very difficult for them to enforce.

She has already contacted the solicitors acting for the debt collection so it's too late for statute barred afaik.

Yes, but verbally. Maybe there is nothing in writing that has reset the clock. Legal advice is needed here.

Stall the wall!! Put NOTHING in writing. These debts may be statute barred. The time limit is 6 years. Writing resets the clock. Suggest finding a solicitor who is prepared to mount a statute barred defense. Puts the onus on UB to find their paperwork. Suspect UB can't find anything from 2013 which will make it very difficult for them to enforce.
I did email the solicitor explaining what happened and forward all emails from 2013/2014 between myself and ulster bank so they have that already. Thanks for all your replys I really appreciate your advice. So do you think I should get my solicitor ?

Yes, I would get a solicitor, a good one, although the cat might be out of the bag. It could be argued that UB should have taken legal action by 2011, which they didn't. Sounds like a try-on 14 years down the road. Suggest getting legal advice first, and depending on how that goes, consider a Personal Insolvency Practitioner (PIP). There's more than one way to skin the cat. Chin up!

Sounds like a try-on 14 years down the road.
OP talks about corresponding with bank, and agreeing a payment plan in 2013. Bank are obviously taking action now to prevent it becoming statute barred.

Ive looked up a few solicitors today an will make enquiries tomor, what is a pip an should i mention this to the solicitor an the six yr statute bar bit or say v little to see what they think ? Thanks again i came on here v worried this morning

When talking to the solicitor do ask for an opinion on whether or not the debts are statute barred, and ask if the solicitor would be interested in defending you. You'll need to explain the background. And don't be afraid of asking the solicitor the amount that their services would cost. Don't mention the possibility of you visiting a PIP, that would be a Plan B, and the solicitor might lose interest in your case is s/he hears mention of this.

I spoke to a solicitor this morning and he says theres no laps of 6 years as i have contacted them so no statute barred.. His advice is to speak to Mabs and they will speak to UB solicitor on my behalf an try an draw up a plan if at all possible

Back