Long term tenant on airbnb-do I need to register with RTB?

anotheranother

Hi. We have an airbnb property. Someone wants to rent it for 9 months, which would suit us. Would we then have to register with the residential tenancies board? And is airbnb the best way to take in a tenant for 9 months?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Regards
S

Once it goes past 6 months, they will be entitled to a 'Part 4’ tenancy. If the property is correctly designated via planning as a short term let this will be problematic.

Thanks for your reply. The house is a holiday house that I also rent out through airbnb. It is not in an area that requires planning permission to operate as an airbnb. The tenant will be a student. So, it someone rents it for more than six months, then they are entitled to a part 4 tenancy, which I believe means that they can stay for five and a half years if they wish. So, that means, that all student lets would also be subject to a part 4 tenancy, is that correct?
Thanks for your advice
S

The house is a holiday house that I also rent out through airbnb. It is not in an area that requires planning permission to operate as an airbnb.

The Temple Bar case that confirmed change of use was required for short term lets predates the RPZ legislation and guidance on planning requirements was sent to local authorities after that case confirming the same.

So, that means, that all student lets would also be subject to a part 4 tenancy, is that correct?

No, student specific accommodation is excluded in the legislation.

Leo. Thanks for your reply.
The house is an old house (50 years old), and for a lot of that time, was rented out as a holiday home (1 week or 2 week stays).
There is no specific planning permission in place for this letting activity.
It is not in an RPZ zone.
I now have a tenant ( a student) who wishes to book it for an academic year (9 months).
I don't think I would have to do anything official in order to take this booking? Yes, the tenant may have entitlement to a 'part 4' tenancy after 6 months, but I don't think that is an issue in this case.
You said "student specific accommodation" is excluded from any legislation, but I think that refers to those blocks of apartments specifically built for student accommodation.
I believe I am okay to accept this booking, probably book it outside the airbnb site (to save on commission). Would you agree?
Thanks in advance for your advice
Regards
S

The house is an old house (50 years old), and for a lot of that time, was rented out as a holiday home (1 week or 2 week stays).
There is no specific planning permission in place for this letting activity.

You'll most likely be fine unless there are complaints, enforcement is light in this area.

I now have a tenant ( a student) who wishes to book it for an academic year (9 months).
I don't think I would have to do anything official in order to take this booking? Yes, the tenant may have entitlement to a 'part 4' tenancy after 6 months, but I don't think that is an issue in this case.

You will need to register the tenancy with the RTB within 1 month.

You said "student specific accommodation" is excluded from any legislation, but I think that refers to those blocks of apartments specifically built for student accommodation.

Correct, doesn't apply here.

I believe I am okay to accept this booking, probably book it outside the airbnb site (to save on commission). Would you agree?

Yeah, do that outside the AirBnB system.

Thanks for all the replies. I wonder do many landlords, who rent houses to students, realize that if the students wished, once they went over 6 months of renting the house, they could decide to stay renting that house for 5.5 years? Even if just 1 student out of say 4 others renting the house decides to stay and keep renting his/her room, they could stay there for 5.5 years.

Back