Long Term Possession of Land

Dingo

Hi,
just wondering if anyone can help on this one.
Recently, a relative of my father passed away leaving an estate with an estimated value of about 4 million. this man had no immediate family and willedt to a nephew in London.
My Dad owns some adjacent land and has also had the use of some of this land for over 30 years. He was paying rent to this relativel, who was a first cousin of my grandfather .
Even though my Dad has been paying rent and not "squatting" on the land, is any law governing the long term possession of land, or does he not have any legal entitlement to this land at all?
The land in question does is not the most valuable as this is zoned for agriculture while the other plots are zoned for residential. It's not about the money, but the principal that he has farmed this land for 30 years, and now stands to lose it to someone who doesn't care about it.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks !

Sounds like the plot in "The Field"...you'll need legal advise on this one for sure.

"but the principal that he has farmed this land for 30 years, and now stands to lose it to someone who doesn't care about it."

He farmed it, he paid rent and had the use of it, the owner willed it to someone else. Owner has absolute entitlement to do what he likes with it.

mf

Back